By: Jeremy Neisser
From baseball to basketball and football to even golf, we see compression arm sleeves almost everywhere.
How do they benefit us? Do they really work?
The three reasons why runners wear arm sleeves
1. Improve Blood Circulation
2. Maintain Body Temperature
3. Sun Protection
4. Help Reduce Swelling.
Let's dig into the main benefits:
Compression calf and arm sleeves are used by runners. Compression arm sleeves provide significant support by increasing blood flow. After a lengthy run, simply keep your compression arm sleeves on. This will increase blood flow, removing the lactic acid that was built up in your arms muscles as a result of exercise.
4 Reasons Why Runners Wear Arm Sleeves & The Benefits
What are Compression Arm Sleeves ?
Compression arm sleeves are special support products for the arms, which help to relieve pain and swelling in your hands and forearms due to a variety of causes. These include repetitive stress injuries (RSI) like carpal tunnel syndrome , elbow problems like golfer's or tennis elbow, arthritis in the hand or wrist or a sprained wrist.
There is a history of compression arm sleeves that dates back to some six decades ago. But the sleeves were then used to treat venous diseases. The doctors found them really helpful in compressing blood vessels, which improve blood flow and ensure more oxygen-rich blood to muscles immediately.
From treatments to today’s sports world, sleeves have transformed a lot. But the arm sleeves got their ultimate fame when Allen Iverson wore a sleeve in 2000 because he was suffering from elbow bursitis.
He recovered very quickly with the help of that sleeve and continued wearing it to all his basketball matches from then. That initiated the revolution of the arm sleeves that we see today and made them so popular among sports-lovers.
Here are the ones we recommend with detailed review below.
What are the benefits of using arm sleeves?
The benefits of Compression arm sleeves are primarily to provide relief from pain and swelling, but they can also help in the management of a variety of conditions by improving blood flow through your arms.
While there are a number of specially designed compression arm sleeves available in pharmacies and sports shops, you can use a normal compression shirt for both arms.
1. Improve Circulation:
Improved blood circulation is undoubtedly one of the biggest advantages of using arm sleeves. The high compression factor of these sleeves is intently devised to contract your blood vessels in the arm.
These sleeves force the vessels to open up and circulate blood more efficiently. The tightened muscles of the arm stimulate the heart to pump more oxygenated blood to the arm. An improvement in the blood flow has another benefit, and that is to lessen the possibility of swelling during exercise or after some serious injury.
It can also protect your muscles from possible injury and support any previous injury you may have had.
2. Quick Recovery:
With the use of arm sleeves, athletes can experience fast recovery, and this is also proved in a study published by the American Journal of Medicine. The study was performed on several sportsmen wearing sleeves and results were compared to those who did not wear arm sleeves.
It revealed that the compression sleeves keep the lactate levels in the muscles low which prevents swelling and promotes recovery.
However, you must make sure to use graduated compression sleeves that are tight on wrists and slightly loose at the biceps. It quickly helps the blood flow back to the heart.
3. Maintain Body Temperature
Weather is always unpredictable no matter where you are training. It could be raining or snowing someday while on other days the sun makes it scorching hot.
It becomes highly inconvenient to put on and remove layers now and then while practicing. But the layer of a compression sleeve will ensure a moderate temperature of your body.
They minimize the impact of weather impressively and also keep you warm and dry by wicking away the unwanted sweat.
Apart from ensuring maximum protection against injuries, the arm sleeves also provide protection from sun, bumps and scrapes.
However, hard you may try to avoid the swiping hands of defenders; the scratches and bumps are inevitable. It is very likely to get scratched or bruised during the heat of game but the compression sleeves carefully form a layer between your skin and contact.
So, the arm sleeves eliminate any such chances of getting wounded effectively.
Compression Arm Sleeves for Pain Relief
If your arm muscles, tendons and ligaments are swollen, overworked or injured from repetitive stress or an acute injury like a sprain or strain, our high quality compression arm sleeves can offer significant pain relief by reducing pain and swelling directly in the source.
By applying constant pressure to specific points on your forearms using a variety of different fabrics and designs , many types of compression arm sleeves can reduce muscle fatigue and improve circulation to help speed healing time.
What to look for when buying an arm sleeve?
The markets are jam-packed with a huge variety of arm sleeves. The options in terms of compression arm sleeves may leave you wondering for what choices to make. Only a picture-perfect and high-quality arm sleeve can offer all the benefits of compression sleeves.
The foremost factor to consider while purchasing an arm sleeve is size.
Size is the most crucial thing in an arm sleeve because it should not be too snug or too loose so as to lose its overall significance. There are size charts provided by various manufacturers that will help you pick the best arm sleeve.
The second point to consider while purchasing an arm sleeve is to know what sport you are going to use these sleeves for. Depending on your sport, whether it is tennis, basketball, baseball or any other game, you can choose a sleeve. The game or games you participate in eventually determines the use of sleeve and also defines its limitations.
The color of the sleeve is another important consideration. White and light color sleeves for outdoor sports can get dirty easily so you may need some dark colors. The color of your jersey will also influence the color of your arm sleeve.
You may need a sleeve that complements your sportswear to add style to your game.
So, there are many choices and considerations when it comes to compression arm sleeves. A compression arm sleeve can become your best companion in your sports that will protect you from injury, promote your recovery and will make your sports stylish.
However, you must keep your approach practical because this is not a magical wear that will transform you into some superman. It will can work and will help you a lot in your athletic life.
The 4 Best Compression Arm Sleeves for Runners
We evaluated the top 4 compression arm sleeves based on the following criteria: reviews, feedback, price (value) and most importantly, effectiveness.
#1. BeVisible Sports Compression Arm Sleeve
- ARM & ELBOW PAIN RELIEF : The arm sleeves have targeted compression zones that provide support & boost circulation. This can help provide pain relief for conditions such as lymphedema, tendonitis, tennis elbow, golfers elbow, joint pain and swelling.
#2. CompressionZ Compression Arm Sleeve
- 50+ UV Protection: Get sun protection from harmful UV rays with our sun sleeves for men and women. Each UV protected arm sleeve is made with a premium fabric blend to cool your skin on hot and sunny days. These are the perfect sun sleeves to cover arms for men and women.
- Pain Relief: Use as a lymphedema sleeve, tendonitis elbow brace, or other medical arm concerns. Reduce swelling and inflammation from sports including baseball, softball, football, or weightlifting.
- Athletic Sport Compression: Sleeves act as arm warmers for running and cycling in cool weather. Ideal for wearing as a medical compression sleeve for muscle and joint support to reduce swelling.
#3. Winter Compression Arm Sleeve
- ✔UV PROTECTION COOLING ARM SLEEVES- Highly breathable material and lightweight soft fabric ensure outstanding wearing experience of our arm sleeves, keep your arm feeling cool, fast sweat drying and exercise pain release, make your skin fresh all day
- ✔HEAVIER Sleeves WITH BETTER QUALITY- Heavier arm sleeves the full material and good quality that the arm sleeves have. Nearly 20g heavier than other brands, UPF 50+ kmmin uv protection sleeves blocks 99. 8% UVA/ UVB to protect your arms
- ✔360°PERFECT SEAMLESS SEWING SKILL- Our cooling arm sleeves are conform to ergonomics, designed by considering all muscle line of body to protect muscle, promotes faster muscle recovery and blood circulation
- ✔UNIQUE SPECIAL CHECKERBOARD DESIGN- Classical and fashion checkboard pattern makes this arm sleeves different from other products, makes you the special one and suits for both men and women. Tear resistance, durable for long time used
- ✔100% LIFETIME SERVICE - We offer a lifetime and 100% satisfaction for this arm sleeves
#4. Endurance Shield 360 Compression Arm Sleeve
- COMPRESSION TECHNOLOGY: Athletically designed arm compression sleeves to protect your arms and relieve lymphedema pains. Superior support to promote relief and rapid muscular recovery.
- BREATHABLE MATERIAL: Professional grade material (nylon & lycra blend). These athletic arm sleeves are designed for all day comfort and compression. Engineered to relieve arm pain, elbow pain, swelling, soreness and discomforts.
- BOOST CIRCULATION: Gradulated compression to provide extra comfort and actively promote healthy blood flow. Designed to boost circulation to aid in rapid muscle recovery.
Why do Olympic runners wear one sleeve?
Long-distance runners are more prone to muscular tiredness during a race since they stretch their muscles over a longer period of time. Compression sleeves are frequently worn by athletes during the Olympics, either on one arm or both legs, depending on the form of support they believe they need. Keep in mind Olympic athletes know their bodies better than other athletes.
Why Runners Wear Arm Sleeves - Conclusion
I hope this article has been helpful. If you consider picking up an arm sleeve, those listed above are highly recommended.
Hi, Jeremy Here,
I am the the guy behind Train for a 5K. On this site, I share everything that learned along my running journey. The content I create is the running training I wish I had before we started this journey. About Jeremy.
I have run over 250 races including the California International Marathon, Clarksburg Country Run, and various other 5K & 10K races throughout the United States. I am a former Athletics department employee at University of the Pacific and Shoe Consultant with Dicks Sporting Goods
Last update on 2023-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API