The Brooks Defyance is a neutral shoe made for the track or the road. Both heavy and everyday runners enjoy the support and stability the Brooks Defyance gives them.
It’s an average fit, neutral running shoe that ensures a smooth experience with each use.
But since Brooks has discontinued the production of Defyance, many alternatives have started to appear on the market. They have the same features, if not better.
The 5 Similar Shoes to Brooks Defyance
My Top Pick: Asics Gel-Nimbus for Men & New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 for Women
Similar to Defyance, the Mizuno Wave Rider is lightweight and comfortable. It has high-quality cushioning thanks to its U4ic and U4icX CloudWaves. This material provides a super secure fit and soft cushioning.
A great feature of the Wave Rider is that the cushioned insoles are responsive, much like those of Defyance. But what makes them stand out is their heel support.
You’ll also appreciate the breathable mesh upper. Just like in Defyance, the upper allows for maximum airflow, while providing exceptional support and stability.
Even though these are considered neutral running shoes, they’re still capable of providing maximum support to a wide range of users. Their high arches and rubber soles make them one of the best alternatives to Brooks Defyance.
- High mileage running shoe built for runners with a neutral gait looking for comfort and durability
- Engineered Mesh Upper: Ultra lightweight fabric provides unmatched breathability and flexibility for 5 star comfort even on your longest runs.
- Our proprietary midsole uses a combination of ENERZY and U4ic foams to provide exceptional balance between cushioning and shock absorption for a truly euphoric run.
- MIZUNO WAVE: The eco friendly, bio based MIZUNO WAVE plate disperses energy from impact to provide cushioning and energy return.
- X10 Outsole: Durable carbon rubber that allows for superior traction and longer wear.
The New Balance 1080 v10 is a women’s shoe with similar features to Defyance, mainly in their level of comfort and cushioning.
It’s a better, softer, and more responsive pair of shoes compared to previous versions. It’s designed to take your feet’ shape with the help of its Fresh Foam X technology.
This technology is similar to Defyance’s BioMoGo DNA, which cushions your feet while providing maximum support.
Much like the stitched layers on the Defyance, these New Balance come with an Ultra, or 3D, heel design. It increases the durability of the shoes and offers a perfect fit.
It’s a feature that prevents in-shoe wobbling while protecting your feet from the various forces of impact.
Another similarity between the New Balance v10 and Defyance is their uppers are soft and breathable. They also provide excellent support and ensure ample airflow in your forefoot area and throughout the entire shoe.
- Fresh Foam midsole cushioning is precision engineered to deliver an ultra-cushioned, lightweight ride
- Bootie upper construction hugs your foot for a snug, supportive fit
- Synthetic/mesh upper
- Ortholite sockliner for comfort
- Ultra Heel design hugs the back of the foot for a snug, supportive fit
The Adidas Adizero Boston is a great women’s alternative to the Defyance. It comes with many functional features that are quite similar to the Defyance.
For example, the midsoles are similar in design. They also have the same responsive cushioning system and breathable mesh.
Also, both of these shoes are neutral running shoes. They also come with sockliner molds that take the shape of your feet.
The Adidas upper on these shoes are made from breathable mesh, like Defyance. It’s a material that manages to offer high levels of support and durability. Plus, it ensures a well-ventilated wrap.
The Adizero Boston 8 has a comfortable step-in system. Its responsiveness, combined with its comfort and flexibility, provides a pleasant running experience.
Another feature they have in common is their rubber soles. They have a dependable grip in all weather conditions.
They run the entire length of the shoe and provide added comfort and support as you’re running.
The cushioned part is made with Cushion ST foam. This type of memory foam gives your feet stability and support. Another great feature of Nike is its Fitsole sockliner, which delivers high-quality cushioning and support.
They’re great for speed, long-distance, and everyday runners, similar to Brooks Defyance. The way these two types of shoes are designed gives them a comfortable feel and a responsive fit.
Here is a fair comparison between Nike running shoes and Brooks.
- 36 Pegasus has more perforations and engineered mesh in the upper for targeted breathability across high-heat areas.
- A slimmer heel collar and tongue reduce bulk without compromising comfort, while exposed Flywire cables give you a snug fit at higher speeds.
- Full-length Zoom Air unit provides a smooth, responsive ride.
- High resiliency sockliner adapts to the contour of your foot for support while waffle pistons on outsole help absorb impact and provide multi-surface traction
Asics & Brooks have had a long-standing battle as the top running shoe.
Another great alternative to Defyance is the ASICS Gel-Nimbus 22. This is a high-quality, neutral running shoe with gel cushioning in both the forefoot and the rearfoot.
They’re both made with comfortable, multidirectional mesh uppers. The front part is made with durable material, which provides support, versatility, and good airflow.
The ASICS TRUSSTIC System makes this shoe lightweight, weighing around 10 ounces. Yet it’s still able to preserve their structural integrity. It’s very similar to curved flex grooves found on Defyance.
Their responsive memory foam is very similar. The Gel-Nimbus uses long-lasting, full-length SpevaFoam 45. It’s a lasting material with a soft, comfortable feel.
This technology has a lot in common with the BioMoGo DNA design of Defyance. They both use organic nanofibers to provide maximum padding and support.
They both also have rubber soles, which protect the midsoles. They also give a bouncier, firmer feel, as well as a good deal of traction.
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Technology Cushioning System - Attenuates shock during impact and toe-off phases, and allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle.
- Trusstic System technology - Reduces the weight of the sole unit while retaining the structural integrity of the shoe.
- SpevaFoam 45 Lasting - Employs 45 degree full length SpevaFoam 45 lasting material for a soft platform feel and improved comfort.
- FlyteFoam Lyte Technology - ASICS lightest weight midsole formulation that provides continuous cushion thanks to organic nano fibers.
- FlyteFoam Propel Technology - ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce thanks to a unique elastomer compound.
Conclusion: 5 Shoes Similar To Brooks Defyance
If you’re looking for a reliable, well-balanced pair of shoes, then these are your top picks. They’re the best five shoes similar to Brooks Defyance I found on the market.
-You may also be interested in Brooks Defyance vs Brooks Ghost
Each of them offers a great fit and excellent performance. They’re perfect for everything you throw at them, from regular daily jogging to marathons to track workouts.
Hi, Jeremy Here,
I am the the guy behind Train for a 5K. On this site, I share everything that learned along my running journey. The content I create is the running training I wish I had before we started this journey. About Me.
Last update on 2023-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API