Yoga pants have come to be the clothing comfort zone for lots of people, whether they actually practice yoga or not. They are widely spread because of their utter comfort, flexibility, and breathability.
What adds to their awesomeness is their ability to be multi-tasking pants. You can wear them at home, to run errands, and even to exercise.
Running in yoga pants is a thing you can do. However, it has its upsides and downsides that you need to be aware of before you go running with your comfy yoga pants.
Pros and Cons of Running in Yoga Pants
What are the benefits of Running in Yoga Pants?
The main benefit of running in yoga pants is that they are highly comfortable, giving you an option to run in style.
What is the difference between yoga pants and running tights?
The main difference between yoga pants and running tights is that yoga pants are not as compressive as running tights.
Is it okay to run in yoga pants?
If your yoga leggings are compressive and have moisture-wicking properties, such as Dragon Fit or The GYM People, you can run in them without discomfort.
- Please check the size chart ( Last Image ) before ordering. Please note: color may vary slightly from image. and don't worry about size problems, you can through the online returns center exchange it if the yoga pant size doesn't fit
- Comfortable high waist: wide waist elastic waistband to cover navel which provides tummy control and would not fall. Suitable for capri, workout, fitness.
- Ultra-stretch fit ( enough thickness with breathability: no see-through) featuring the super soft and skin-friendly material, the workout leggings are moisture-wicking with a four-way stretch material that promotes both compression and support. In addition, a gusset crotch to maximize free movement and interlock seams to minimize rubbing and chafing make these leggings for women the perfect yoga pant for workout
- The high waist tummy control stretch leggings by dragon fit are the affordable sport pants whether you’re working out in the gym or lounging at home. With a wide ad High rise waistband together with tummy control and a hidden pocket, these yoga leggings are perfect for active women.
- Side pockets & inner pocket: no more worry about your essentials such as phone, wallet, sweat towel when doing every workout thanks to two big pockets on both sides. A hidden inner pocket in the back waistband is designed to conveniently stash your keys, credit cards or other small items.
The Pros of Running in Yoga Pants
Putting on your yoga pants for a run can give you a special running experience as they're designed to improve mobility in the first place.
Comfort is the number one feature of yoga pants. They're designed specially to add to the calmness and comfort of yoga practices. The same goes for running. Wearing yoga pants while running will provide you the comfort you need for your legs movement.
Breathable and Durable Materials
As you breathe during your yoga practice your body is also breathing when you're wearing your yoga pants. They're made out of breathable fabric to reduce sweat.
There are also some pants made of moisture-wicking materials to prevent your body from heating up during your workout. They absorb sweat and dry fast for your body to avoid irritation and stay cool.
To remain durable with all the stretching and bending, the pants are also made of thick materials. They have a lesser chance of getting torn than usual running pants.
Moreover, these thick materials provide you with full coverage avoiding any embarrassing see-through moments while moving and exercising freely.
As one of the yogis' goals is to have ultimate flexibility, the pants are designed to help them reach this point. The same goes for running. Yoga pants are convenient for running as they are elastic and stretchy.
You get to have easy and flexible movement and consequently better blood circulation and less muscle fatigue. The pants add no restriction to your running, or weight, as they are lightweight that you feel as if they're a second skin.
When compared to running pants, yoga pants stand out for having high waistbands. They prevent the pants from falling unlike short-waisted ones that roll down with movements.
The high waist also gives you better tummy control. It helps you stay put and more focused on your workout. It also adds to your overall stability while running.
Yoga pants' flexibility and stability features are some of the reasons why it's safe to run in them. They're tight and won't start rolling down and let you trip over rocks. You're less likely to fall and harm yourself, as there are no movement restrictions.
That means that you can focus entirely on getting the best of your workout without being distracted with your sportswear.
- IUGA is a lifestyle brand that combines Style, Comfort and Performance. The High Quality Activewear is perfect for Fitness Enthusiasts and Everyday Athleisure as it is Affordable and Accessible. Operating at the cross section between fashion and function, IUGA aims to please both The Everyday Fashion Consumer and The Ultimate Exercise Enthusiast.
- Developed by Yogis, for yogis: A Wide High-Rise Waistband with Tummy Control and a Hidden Pocket, these yoga leggings are perfect for active women. Featuring the Super Soft material, the workout leggings are very comfy with Four-way Stretch material that promotes both compression and support. In addition, a Gusset Crotch to maximize Free Movement and Interlock Seams to minimize Rubbing and Chafing, making these leggings for women become The Perfect Yoga Pants.
- Ultra-Stretch Fit (Enough Thickness & Non-See-Through) that Slims and Conforms with each pose, movement and contour. Plus a Hidden Waistband Inner Pocket to stash your keys, cell phones or any essentials.
The Cons of Running in Yoga Pants
As yoga pants are essentially made for practicing yoga, there are some restrictions that appear when using them with a different kind of activity.
Lack of Compression
Yoga pants do have compression as they hold the body tight and support it. However, its level of compression isn’t for vigorous exercise. This is because yoga includes soft and calm movements and so applying pressure isn’t needed.
Wearing pants with full compression can be a better option especially for professional runners. It reduces muscle fatigue and lowers the level of muscle soreness by adding to the support given to your legs.
Harder to Clean
Though yoga pants are breathable, they can be harder to clean than other types pants. This is because they are usually made of synthetic fabric.
They don't absorb moisture as cotton running pants or sweatpants can do. They also don't have mesh panels that can let out sweat.
As mentioned before, yoga pants are moisture-wicking and are made of thick fabric.
These two features make cleaning them a harder job as sweat and dirt tend to stick in moisture-wicking channels. The fact that you don't feel them sweaty doesn't mean that they're clean.
Pockets and yoga don't match. Having any zippered pockets or waistband pockets doesn't fit the yoga movements.
They can be uncomfortable and painful when you press on them with your body during a yoga class.
However, for running it's almost the opposite. Having a pocket is needed and also an advantage.
While running, it's crucial to have a place for your essentials such as your cell phone, your keys, and your money.
Still, there are some yoga pants that can have a tight pocket too but it won’t be a zippered one and so can't keep anything inside while running.
Fewer Material Options
Yoga classes are usually taken indoors, at a studio, or even at home. Therefore, they aren't usually made with weather conditions in mind.
There is hot yoga but there is no "cold" yoga and this can be the main downside for winter runners.
Winter running gear is always designed with insulation to provide warmth and keep your body heated while exercising. Yoga pants aren’t expected to be under such low-temperature degrees.
Therefore, finding yoga pants that keeps you warm during winter runs can be difficult. A running pair that is made of thermal fabric would be the most convenient option in this case.
Though fashion isn’t a primary concern with sports, running with good looking pants can make a difference.
Yoga pants usually have fewer design options, patterns, and colors, than running leggings, for example. They’ll give you the defined body shape and a confident look, but not always your desired colors and variety.
Whether you have your yoga pants ready or thinking of buying new ones, rest assured that they will give you the comfort and flexibility they’re famous for.
They can also give you a totally different running experience than your regular running pants. Still, keep in mind the limits of these pants not to expect of them more than they’re designed for.
Hi, Jeremy Here,
I am the the guy behind Train for a 5K. On this site, I share everything that learned along my running journey. The content I create is the running training I wish I had before we started this journey. About Me.
Last update on 2023-01-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API