Running shoes are the cornerstone of a successful runner whether you’re running for fun or for a marathon.
That’s why you need to find the best brands that offer unmatched quality and performance.
Among the most popular sports footwear brands on the market are Mizuno and Brooks. But, which one is better for you?
Today, we’ll put Mizuno vs Brooks shoes head to head, so you can pick the one that suits you the most.
To be concise, Mizuno are slightly lighter were as Broks shoes are more durable and weight a little more. Brooks offers a a firmer base resulting in higher mileage usage. Mizunos are perfect for weekend runners who do not put a ton a miles on their shoes.
Mizuno is a Japanese foot and sportswear company that was founded by Rihachi Mizuno in 1906.
It’s among the most popular brands of the running shoe industry with innovative technologies that provide an especially responsive ride while running with their shoes.
Top Features of Mizuno’s Running Shoes
Here’s a brief overview of Mizuno’s running shoe top features
Mizuno’s running shoes are characterized by being lightweight. Most of their shoes weigh between 5.5 to 9.8 ounces but they average at about 7 ounces.
This gives you extra speed that can shave up to one minute if you’re running for a long distance!
While Mizuno’s running shoes are characteristically light, they’re surprisingly durable and resilient, especially in the midsole region where the Mizuno’s Wave Plate Technology kicks in.
Although the technology isn’t designed for durability, it still supports the midsole and adds extra life to it.
Ideally, you should expect the average Mizuno shoes to last you up to about 400 to 500 miles. This means that a casual runner who workouts 3-4 times a week should expect it to last about 6 months.
With their quick pacing in adding innovative technologies, Mizuno’s running shoe quality is truly above and beyond.
Mizuno utilizes a special wave plate technology when designing midsoles. This technology helps in dispersing the force horizontally while running, giving its midsole a unique and functional design.
These shoes also support natural gait with its support elements that are strategically placed to help you keep on track.
One thing that characterizes Mizuno’s shoes is that they’re usually cut quite narrow when compared to some other brands.
Best Running Shoes By Mizuno
Mizuno’s running shoes are usually branded under the name “Wave”, which stands for the innovative technology that they apply to all their running shoes.
Here’s a quick sample of the most successful and popular running shoes by Mizuno.
The Wave Sky from Mizuno is an upgrade from the Wave Enigma. This shoe is considered one of the most comfortable foam-based shoes that Mizuno offers.
The shoes have an ample cushion for both short tracks and long marathons and run pretty smooth and close to the ground.
Additionally, they’re quite lightweight and maintain decent firmness and durability when it comes to intense runners.
- XPOP PU foam and Mizuno Foam Wave combine to make this favorite neutral running shoe the softest and bounciest yet
- WAVEKNIT upper construction provides a comfortable fit with natural movement and breathability
- In addition to XPOP PU foam and Wave Technology U4icX Midsole provides a lighter, more cushioned ride delivering a softer underfoot feeling for a smooth transition.
The Wave Rider is currently their most popular running shoes thanks to its high performance and relatively affordable price.
The upper mesh features DynamotionFit construction, which allows for an excellent level of fitness while wearing the shoes.
They aren’t the lightest shoes by Mizuno. However, they make that up by pairing the Mizuno’s wave technology with excellent quality midsole materials.
This helps the shoes to be dynamically cushioning and give a relatively light feel on the feet.
- Mizuno WAVE: The Mizuno wave Plate disperses energy from impact to a broader area providing a stable platform and a superior cushioning
- U4ic Midsole: delivers optimal shock reduction, durability, and a superior ride. innovatively light, well cushioned, responsive, and resilient
- Smoothride: creates a smooth transition from heel to toe on every step
Brooks Running is an American Company that makes a wide variety of sporting accessories, especially running shoes and clothing for men and women.
The company was launched back in 1914 by John Brooks Goldenberg and is currently operating in over 60 countries around the world due to its major success.
One fact about Brooks that most people do not know is that the company is owned by Warren Buffet. Here's a little more info about Brooks history.
Top Features of Brooks’ Running Shoes
Here’s a brief overview of Brooks’ running shoe top features.
Unlike Mizuno, Brooks’ shoes are a bit heavier in weight but not by much. Most of their shoes are within a range of 7 ounces to 13 ounces (almost one pound per shoe).
Brooks Hyperion Tempo is one of the lightest running shoes of the brand that weighs around 7 ounces.
When it comes to durability, Brooks is characteristically more durable thanks to its reinforced construction.
Ideally, the standard durability Brooks running shoe will last you up to 400 to 500 miles before it requires replacement.
If you run for about 20 miles every week, these running shoes can last you well over 6 months at top performance.
When it comes to the overall quality of Brooks, they’re among the best manufacturers when it comes to dealing with foam and gel support.
Their shoes are usually quite comfortable with adequate cushioning and enough support to help you sustain a natural gait.
The company always strives to make new shoes that are closer to the ground with better cushioning to keep your feet stable while running.
Best Running Shoes By Brooks
If you like brooks, here are some of the most popular models for running they have.
As you already know, the Hyperion Tempo is one of the lightest running shoes that Brooks has to offer.
This shoe comes with the all-new DNA Flash midsole foam by Brooks, which is also nitrogen-infused to deliver the maximum energy return while running without weighing you down.
- THIS SHOE IS FOR: For runners looking to get the most out of their workouts, the Hyperion Tempo is a light and responsive trainer that reduces deviation, allowing you to run and recover faster
- LIGHT, RESPONSIVE CUSHIONING: We created the all-new DNA FLASH midsole by infusing our adaptive DNA material with nitrogen, providing an incredibly lightweight yet springy experience.
- PERFORMANCE FIT: The woven upper provides both stretch and breathability for maximum comfort.
Brooks Ghost are one fo the highest reviewed, highest selling and most worn running shoes. In fact, in a survey of over 3600 runners nationwide the Ghost rank near the top.
It’s also a highly versatile shoe that can be used for both flat racing and everything trainers. The use is characterized by having the DNA BioMoGo midsole cushioning.
This gives a more springy feel and better feet launch on every step, hence the name. The shoes combine the right amount of stiffness and durability with comfort.
It also has a single-layer mesh upper, which cuts down some weight to help you pacing at flying speeds.
You read the latest version of the Ghost in our review here.
- THIS SHOE IS FOR: The Ghost 13 is for runners looking for a reliable shoe that's soft and smooth. The Ghost 13 offers improved transitions for zero distractions so you can focus more on what matters most: your run.
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: The neutral support type provides high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym or wherever you might want to take them! Predecessor: Ghost 12
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning work together to provide a just-right softness underfoot without losing responsiveness and durability - yet it feels lighter than ever.
Similar to the Ghost, the Adrenaline an uber popular running shoe that is built on a foundation of tremendous support, stability and comfort.
Read the full review of the Adrenaline here.
- THIS SHOE IS FOR: Runners looking for a supportive shoe that's soft and smooth, the Adrenaline GTS 21 offers an improved ride and reliable support for however your body moves so you can forget the shoes and enjoy the run.
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: Provides just the right amount of stability and support, great for overpronation while providing high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym or wherever you might want to take them! Predecessor: Adrenaline GTS 20
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: The DNA LOFT Crash Pad cushions each footfall and works with BioMoGo DNA to adapt to your every stride.
With that said, you now have a quick comparison between Mizuno vs Brooks. As you can see, both brands are excellent when it comes to running shoes.
If you prefer lightweight shoes, you should consider Mizuno’s shoes. They’re much lighter with their wave plate technology that gives nice support to the midfoot.
However, if you’re more about longevity, Brook’s durable foam soles will last you longer. They’re also lightweight enough to preserve your speed while pacing.
Last update on 2021-05-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API