What’s your relationship with tying shoe laces?
Many runners detest tying their laces. I know I do.
Often times they come undone during a race and despite my best efforts to triple knot them, I have to go back and tie them at a very inconvenient time. Like the like .2 miles of my most recent 5K.
After the 5K a fellow runner came up to me. You know, the runner that is stride for stride for you the last .5 miles. We traded pleasantries and then I went on to complain about my shoe laces.
I looked down at his shoes and I saw he was using Lock laces for his shoe laces. To make a long story short, we had a lengthy conversation about the value of shoe lace locking.
His main points:
They’re easy to use, less time-consuming and eliminates the need to tie your laces.They come in various fun colors.
Our Top Pick
Unlike the lacing systems you’re used to tying, the no tie laces are faster, and easier to use, and don’t require washing. The other benefit of the no-tie option is that it limits over-tieing or under tie-ing (tightness on your foot) which helps reduce friction on your feet, limiting the chance of blisters.
This article compares Hickies vs Lock Laces to help you make an informed decision between the two.
Which of the two no tie lacing systems is better for runners? Let’s find out.
Hickies Elastic Lacing System
The Hickies elastic lacing system is unlike other elastic shoe laces. It resembles conventional shoe laces. The lacing system is available in 16 color combinations to suit the many different tastes out there.
With the lacing system, you’ll never have to tie your shoes laces or untie them again. A pack features 14 smaller, individual elastic shoe laces in your preferred color.
Replacing your old laces with the new lacing system is easy. As mentioned, it’s also less time-consuming than the conventional way of tying your shoe laces.
The laces don’t come untied. The traditional shoe lace “tickle” if it gets into contact with your feet, feeling as if a bug crawled on your foot.
Hickies eliminate the “tickling” of laces on your foot. Your running shoes would then be easy to slip on and off as necessary, without spending much time on the laces. They slip on and off with great ease.
The best part, the Hickies don’t budge when running, resulting in no tying, untying and tickling.
Hickies eliminate laces without compromising the ease of slipping shoes on and off. What’s more, you don’t have to sacrifice your snugness.
However, if you like your laces in a loose fit, you may dislike the Hickies.
The elastic lacing system is a bit tight at your foot’s top, hence may feel uncomfortable for some runners.
The fitting lacing system is handy for runners with wide feet because they can get them to fit without being too tight.
The new lacing systems are durable for prolonged use. Apart from being tickle-free, the laces are sleek and thus take up less space on your shoes.
If you’re tired of tying and untying your shoes, dislike laces and feel secure in a snug foot hug paired with great running shoes, you’ll love the Hickies.
The lacing system is ideal for you if your shoes tend to get untied before or during a race.
The lacing system is also ideal for runners who love to pimp their running shoes with decorative and colorful laces.
Available in many colors, you can easily change them as you deem fit for a custom look on your shoes.
- DITCH YOUR SHOE LACES: Remove your shoe laces and replace them with the HICKIES tie less shoe laces, and never tie your shoes again! Just slip on & go with HICKIES tie free laces.
- VALUE PACK: Each pack of our shoelaces comes with 14 tie less elastic shoe lace straps, enough for 1 pair of shoes. HICKIES no tie shoelaces have fully customizable strap-by-strap fit so you don't have to worry about a perfect fit.
- ONE SIZE, PERFECT FOR EVERYONE: The innovative design of our elastic shoe laces fits most shoe sizes making it a perfect no tie shoe laces for adults and kids. Perfect shoelaces for sneakers and whether you are an athlete that practices high-impact sports. Use HICKIES shoe laces as a hygienic and safe alternative to avoid touching dirty shoelaces.
- ELASTIC SHOE LACES FOR ALL TYPES OF SHOES: Our no tie laces are perfect for every type of shoes such as board shoes, sneakers, sandals, casual shoes, and so on. These rubber shoe laces are a ideal gift for whom having trouble tying their shoes (adults, kids, toddlers, women and men).
- THE ORIGINAL NO TIE SHOELACES - We have sold over 6,500,000 units sold worldwide! HICKIES unique material makes our no tie shoe laces durable in different conditions and water resistant. If anything happens to your shoelaces just let us know and we will replace it.
Positive Distribution LLC is responsible for manufacturing the Elastic No Tie Lock Laces. The lacing system is made up of two elastic shoe laces for fastening the shoe’s tongue using two double-eyelets.
They’re also adjustable to support a locking mechanism and secure your foot into laced shoes using cord clips. Founded many decades ago, the lacing system is easy to use.
Unlike shoelaces that come with magnetic closures, the Lock Laces replace the shoe strings with elastic pull cords.
You only have to pull the laces to lock the cords. Once the teeth locks the lace cord, you’ll never tie your shoe laces again.
Measuring 48 inches long, the Lock Lace system can lace up high tops and several boots. Lace the no tie laces via your shoes’ eyelets. It’s possible to trim down the laces for a perfect fit.
Make sure you place your running shoes the first time you use the lacing system. Cut off or trim the lace to a desirable length for easy adjustments. With the lacing system, you turn your sports shoes into sneakers that you can easily slip on.
With over 5 million pairs of the lacing systems retailing worldwide, the patented lacing system is easier to use.
The elastic lace conforms to your foot for a custom fit. With added compression, the lacing system minimizes discomfort for improved performance.
They features 6-strand fibers measuring for prolonged length and stretches. Lock Laces were initially meant for triathletes with the need to reduce transition time.
These laces make a perfect gift idea for seniors experiencing disabilities, autistic kids, casual users and runners of different ages.
The lacing system comes in a one size fits all for both adults and kids. It’s easy to install and use. Every pair of laces is ideal for a single pair of running shoes. It also comes with instructional videos on installation and how to use the laces.
The Lock Laces come with 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not happy with the laces, you can return them for a refund. The laces are also designed and made to last as long as your running shoes continue to serve you.
Once you try out these lacing systems, you’ll never look back to conventional shoelaces. Furthermore, the guarantee makes you a confident buyer. It also offers protection against manufacturing faults for replacement.
- No-tie Lacing System: Turn any pair of lace-up tennis shoes into slip on sneakers. Lock Laces are the original, no tie shoelaces with over 8 million pairs sold worldwide
- Stretch Fit Comfort: Our elastic laces conform to your foot for a custom fit. Added compression reduces discomfort so you can perform your best! Lock Laces 6-strand fibers are .22 cm in diameter, 48 inches in length and can stretch up to 72 inches
- Perfect For Everyone: Lock Laces, originally designed for triathletes to decrease transition time, are a great gift for seniors suffering from arthritis or other disabilities, autistic children, runners of all ages, and casual users!
- Simple Installation: One size fits all (kids and adults), quick to install, and easy to use. Each pair is suitable for lacing up one pair of shoes. Easy installation instructions and videos provided.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: Lock Laces are guaranteed to last the life of one pair of lace up tennis shoes. We know that once you try them in your shoes, you’ll never go back to traditional shoelaces
So, what's the Difference?
Both Hickies and the Lock Laces are advanced lacing systems developed to make it easy to wear your running shoes. They’re less time-consuming to adjust because they don’t require tying.
They have secure fasteners, meaning they won’t come off in the middle of your runs as in traditional laces that come off if not tied properly. (Speaking from experience).
Both laces are also made from mesh material for improved airflow and ventilation.
They’re also strong enough to last many years. What’s more, you can use a single lacing system with at least one pair of running shoes.
The two types of no tie lacing systems are customizable. If they’re too long, you can trim them to a desirable length.
The difference lies in design and colors. The laces come in different designs, but both are adjusted once to your fitting size.
Once the lacing systems have been adjusted to a snug fit, you simply slip your feet inside and off you go.
The lacing systems come in various colors to suit your preferences. You can buy a set of colors to match your running shoes for an aesthetic appeal.
What's Better for Runner?
The two no-tie lacing systems are effective for runners. They’re both of good quality and strength, atop being easy to use. The best lacing system for runners comes down to your personal preferences and taste. You may try both systems to find out which of the two works best for running needs.
Lock Laces are ideal for use with athletic or running shoes. The no-tie laces are perfect for serious athletes without much time to tie and untie laces. Lock Laces and Hickies don’t require tying, making them easy to use.
Lock Laces work together with your running shoes to deliver comfortable runs in snug fit shoes. You may also find the no tie lacing systems in running shoes of various brands.
Many brands have already adopted the new lacing technologies, and integrated them into some of their running shoes for ease of use.
Lock Laces and Hickies seem to have a high-complaint degree, atop being durable and sturdy for long-term use.
They’re easy to use, attractive, and easy to install. Opt for the best no tie lacing system to secure your shoes for a snug fit without the need to tie your laces.
Hi, Jeremy Here,
I am the the guy behind Train for a 5K. On this site, I share everything that learned along my running journey. The content I create is the running training I wish I had before we started this journey. About Me.
Last update on 2023-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API