Trail runners in hot and humid areas easily get thirsty because they sweat more and lose more water than their counterparts running in cold weather. Therefore, hydration becomes a necessity when going for long-distance runs spanning over an hour.
Carrying water bottles may weigh you down after a while into your runs. What’s more, the bottles keep bouncing and water sloshing in them if you tie them around your waist with a water belt. On the other hand, your hands would tire from holding the bottles.
If you’ve had enough of using water belts and the weight that comes with it, you’ll love a hydration backpack.
CamelBak Dart vs. Hydrobak (Differences Explained)
Is a leading manufacturer of drinkware such as travel mugs, sports bottles, packs for outdoor adventures, and hydration packs, including related accessories.
This article will review and compare the CamelBak Dart and the CamelBak HydroBak hydration pack. Read on to find out which of the two is ideal for your unique running needs.
The CamelBak Dart Hydration Pack
The CamelBak Dart comes in a minimalist design for lightweight backpacking. The hydration pack is designed for runners with features they’ll find handy.
The fillable bladder reservoir has a tube linked to a valve for drinking water while running without removing the pack from your back.
The adjustable shoulder straps secure the pack over your shoulders, keeping it in place despite your running speed.
The adjustable chest strap secures the backpack across your chest to ensure it stays in place when running. Both straps work together to keep the pack secure on your back.
Make sure the pack fits well to ensure it doesn’t move around on your back as you run. At the same time, don’t secure it too tight that your shoulders and chest hurt.
Two zippered pockets are positioned at the back of the backpack. One pocket has a mesh insert and key clip for keeping your keys and other small items.
Another small mesh pocket lies on one of the front straps for keeping a gel.
The hydration pack has a capacity of 50 ounces, enough to hold water you’d need for a long-distance trail running. The pack is made from a lightweight material and the mesh has reflective details on the back.
- Crux delivers 20% more water per sip, with an ergonomic handle for easy refilling and an on/off lever to prevent leaks.
- Reflectivity for early morning or evening runs
- Made with ultralight materials
- Front-facing pockets on harness for easy fuel and gear storage
- Tube trap holds your bite valve in place between sips
This makes it ideal for running in places with poor lighting conditions, in the late evenings or early mornings, or at night.
With a snug fit (not tight) after adjusting the chest strap and shoulder straps, expect a lightweight hydration pack you’d take on every long trail run.
Even with some movement on your back, you won’t feel the water bouncing.
Hold the hydration pack’s reservoir overhead after filing it with water, ensuring the hose pipe is at the top (it may also connect to the bottom of your reservoir pack). The hose becomes lower than the reservoir pack.
Suck out air from the backpack via the valve.
Do this until no air is visible in the reservoirs’ top. This prevents the water from bouncing or sloshing as you run.
Apart from being comfortable, it has enough room in the pockets to hold your keys, phone and gels. The pockets can also hold a camera, stinger waffles, rain hat and larabars.
What’s more, the pockets are zippered to keep your items secure, eliminating the risk of dropping them in the middle of nowhere.
The front-facing pockets on the chest strap (harness) eases gear and fuel storage. They also stretch to hold more essentials. If you run with your dog, you can train it to drink from the valve without using dog lips.
This means the hydration pack is also ideal for dog owners who just love taking their dogs along when trail running.
The tube trap holds the valve when not in use for easy access when you need to drink water.
The CamelBak Dart is also made from premium materials for durability. It won’t just handle your hydration needs over a 23 mile trail run or hike, but last many years of regular use.
With the most recent Crux reservoir, you’re guaranteed up to 20% more water with every sip. The ergonomic refilling handle and a lever with on/off buttons prevents water spillage.
Choose from black and atomic blue, burgundy or hot coral, corsair teal or sulphur spring, deep amethyst and fiery coral, and lime punch and black.
Pros & Cons of the CamelBak Dart Hydration Pack
- Reflectivity for early morning or evening runs. Made with ultralight materials. Padded Mesh
- Front-facing pockets on harness for easy fuel and gear storage. Tube trap holds your bite valve in place between sips
- Dimensions: 31.5 x 22 x 12.5 cm / 12.4 x 8.7 x 4.9 in
- Hydration Capacity: 1.5L/50 fl oz. Gear Capacity: 0.5L/30 cu in
- The brand new Crux delivers 20% more water per sip, with an ergonomic handle for easier refilling, and an on/off lever that makes it easy to prevent leaks
The CamelBak HydroBak Hydration Pack
The Camelbak HydroBak is lightweight for cycling and track running. Whether you’re going for a short bike ride or long trail runs, you’ll find the pack handy.
The Crux reservoir has a capacity of 50 ounces, enough to hold water for 2-hour rides or longer.
- Lightweight cycling Hydration pack: The HydroBak cycling Backpack is exceptional for those short Bike rides; The 50 ounce crux reservoir provides enough water for a two hour ride, with a zippered pocket and ventilated harness for comfort
- More water per sip: Hydration in this lightweight backpack is supplied by a 1.5 liter crux reservoir, designed for quicker loading and refilling; it delivers 20 percent more water per sip, keeping you hydrated while you ride
- Built for simplicity: When all you want is water, this minimalist bike pack has you covered; with enough water for a 2 hour ride and a safe zip pocket for keys and essentials, the hydrobak backpack is designed for those short cycling adventures
- Streamlined yet comfortable: Our men’s backpack features a secure zippered pocket that is perfect for storing your essentials; the lightweight and ventilated mesh harness and breathable air mesh back panel produce a comfortable fit
- If we build it we'll back it : Our got your back lifetime guarantee covers all reservoirs, backpacks, bottles, and accessories from manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product
The zippered pockets allow for storage of essentials such as gels, keys and phones.
What’s more, the harness is made from a mesh material for proper ventilation and comfort.
The lightweight hydration backpack features a 1.5 liter Crux reservoir with a capacity of 50 ounces for water storage.
Designed to support fast water refilling and loading, the backpack guarantees up to 20% more water with every sip of water.
It’s the hydration pack you need to stay hydrated when cycling or running.
The pack comes in a minimalist design constructed for simplicity. Its main purpose is for water storage, meaning you’ll find it useful if there’s need to bring more water with you for your rides or runs.
The pockets are zippered for safety of your valuables.
The streamlined design of the backpack doesn’t just add to its light weight, but renders it comfortable to carry. The lightweight mesh material used on the harness renders it breathable for increased airflow.
Adjust the chest and shoulder straps for a comfortable fit. The hydration pack comes with a Bak lifetime guarantee to cover the bottles, reservoirs, backpacks, and related accessories from the brand.
It protects you from manufacturing defects in workmanship and materials for a product you can use for a lifetime if used well.
Choose from black and graphite, carve blue and black, lapis blue/atomic blue, lime punch and silver, racing red and silver, and safety yellow/navy.
Pros & Cons of the CamelBak HydroBak Hydration Pack
- LIGHTWEIGHT CYCLING HYDRATION PACK: The HydroBak Cycling Backpack is exceptional for those short bike rides. The 50-oz. Crux reservoir provides enough water for a two-hour ride, with a zippered pocket and ventilated harness for comfort.
- MORE WATER PER SIP: Hydration in this lightweight backpack is supplied by a 1.5-liter Crux reservoir, designed for quicker loading and refilling. It delivers 20% more water per sip, keeping you hydrated while you ride.
- BUILT FOR SIMPLICITY: When all you want is water, this minimalist bike pack has you covered. With enough water for a 2-hour ride and a safe zip pocket for keys and essentials, the HydroBak backpack is designed for those short cycling adventures.
- STREAMLINED YET COMFORTABLE: Our men’s backpack features a secure zippered pocket that is perfect for storing your essentials. The lightweight and ventilated mesh harness and breathable air mesh back panel produce a comfortable fit.
- IF WE BUILD IT – WE’LL BAK IT: Our Got Your Bak Lifetime Guarantee covers all reservoirs, backpacks, bottles, and accessories from manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product.
So, what's the Difference?
If you check the reviews above, CamelBak Dart and CamelBak HydroBak have minor differences.
Both hydration packs come in the form of minimalist backpacks for lightweight use.
They have a capacity of 50 ounces for water storage to last you more than 2 hours of biking or running, or several miles.
The two hydration backpacks feature shoulder and chest straps for securing the backpack on your back for convenience.
The zippered pockets in both packs allow for storage of your essentials such as keys, phones and gels.
The front-facing pockets on the harness are made from stretchable mesh for increased breathability.
They stretch to accommodate more items you may need on your runs or rides.
They’re easy to use, refill, clean and maintain.
What’s more, pet owners can train their dogs to use their own hydration pack and drink water from the valve. The straps allow for a snug fit of the pack on your back. They’re also adjustable to fit your size for a snug fit.
The premium materials used to make the hydration packs are easy to clean and support durable use. Furthermore, they’re available in a range of colors to choose from based on your personal preference.
As mentioned, the differences between the two hydration packs are minimal.
Although both hydration backpacks are available in black, you’ll only find purple in Dart packs and blue and red in HydroBak packs.
Moreover, Dart is available in 5 colors while HydroBak comes in 6 color options.
Conclusion: CamelBak Dart vs. HydroBak
When biking or running in hot weather, it becomes necessary to keep yourself hydrated. Hydration packs, unlike water bottles, are convenient and easy to carry.
They have storage, come in minimalist designs and large water capacities up to 50 ounces. What’s more, they’re made from premium materials for durable use.
Opt for the CamelBak Dart if you’re looking for a better quality pack with the option of a purple pack at a slightly higher piece.
On the other hand, opt for HydroBak if you’re working on a tighter budget and prefer a pack in red or blue.
Hi, Jeremy Here,
I am the the guy behind Train for a 5K. On this site, I share everything that learned along my running journey. The content I create is the running training I wish I had before we started this journey. About Me.
Last update on 2023-01-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API