Achy, sore feet or joints can put a damper on any runners training. One simple way to relieve the pain without taking medicine is to use topical cream.
A topical product that provides instant pain relief can be your best friend in these situations.
Today we will break down the differences between two reputable brands, Blue Emu vs Biofreeze. Both have various products under their brand.
What is in their ingredients, application methods, how they work, and pros/cons to each.
Our ultimate goal is to help you make the decision between the two that best fits your needs.
How to Choose A Topical Relief Product
You should never rush when choosing products for your skin, especially if you want to secure maximum benefits. If you are a runner, your goal should be to secure optimal pain relief and deal with achy and sore feet, muscles, and joints. A foot bath is a great alternative to sore feet pain, here are the 5 we recommend.
Take a look at the things you should keep in mind when buying a topical cream for runners.
Methods to Apply it
You apply creams and gels pretty much the same. The process involves getting some of the product out of the jar and using your hand to apply it to the painful area.
Topical products work locally, which means they will only be effective in body parts where you apply it.
Alternatively, you can try applying patches. They work the same way as creams and gels since they have a localized effect. You apply it to the problematic area, and leave them to do their magic.
Some topical products may carry an unpleasant odor, or they may have a smell you don’t like.
For example, you can find menthol products, which should have a pleasant odor, but you might not like it. Both of these products do not have an unpleasant odor.
You should either look for an odor-free formula or a product that has an odor you consider pleasant.
How Topical Pain Relief Products Work
The working process of pain relief creams and other topical products is rather simple. You apply these formulas directly to your skin, which means they use the transdermal approach to deliver their benefits.
As soon as you apply the cream/gel/patch, the ingredients start working their way into the skin.
Depending on the ingredients and the effectiveness of the formula, the products provide pain relief and soothe your feet, joints, back, or muscles.
Thanks to the transdermal method, most of these creams are capable of working after only a couple of seconds.
Although the products work instantly, their effectiveness is time-limiting, and they only provide temporary pain relief.
Blue Emu vs Biofreeze: Differences Explained
Blue Emu Original Analgesic Cream
Ingredients -Blue Emu includes emu oil, which might not help with the pain itself, but it is a critical ingredient of all their formulas.
The reason is that emu oil boosts the bioavailability of other ingredients. In other words, your body will use more of other components in the formula, and the effects will last longer.
We did an even deeper review of Blue Emu that you can read about here.
Glucosamine sulfate, allantoin, and aloe vera gel are only some of the components included in this potent formula.
Thanks to the wide range of ingredients, the product can soothe both muscles and joints.
Application Recommendations: You can apply the cream as needed, but try not to exceed 2-3 times per day, especially during the first couple of weeks of use.
The product is not greasy, and it shouldn’t irritate your skin. It also doesn’t contain any odors, which may be important if you plan to be around other people.
The only real downside is that the product is not suitable for severe pain issues.
But then again, most topical products aren’t, which is why this topical cream remains a fine solution for moderate pain relief runners need to endure training sessions.
- Capable of soothing both muscles and joints
- The cream is not greasy, and it doesn’t have any odor
- It contains emu oil as one of the main ingredients
- Not suitable for severe pain
- Soothes Joints and Muscles, value Size
- Odor Free & Non-Greasy
- America's #1 Emu Oil Formula
- Deep Penetrating Support
- Apply liberally as needed, for best results, apply 2-3 times daily for 2 weeks, then as needed. Not approved for cuts. Do not use on open wounds.
Biofreeze Pain Reliever Gel
Ingredients- The primary ingredient in Biofreeze formulas depends on the product. However, they mostly rely on trolamine salicylate and menthol. Research by the National Library of Medicine shows that trolamine salicylate is effective at relieving pain.
While we are talking about ingredients, let’s mention that you should look for those that suit your skin. Some products may not be adequate for sensitive skin, so be careful when choosing the right solution.
As you probably know, menthol has a naturally soothing effect on the skin, which is why you can often find it in pain relief products.
Sore muscles and joints are a common concern for every runner and active lifestyle fan. Biofreeze designed its Pain Reliever Gel to help those who are looking to cool and soothe areas where they feel pain or soreness.
The gel is easy to apply, and it features a fast-acting formula, which should secure instant pain relief.
You may consider applying it before the running session to endure the entire training. Alternatively, use it afterward to soothe feet and muscles and accelerate the recovery process.
The product doesn’t contain any propylene glycol or parabens, and the active ingredient is menthol. While the formula shouldn’t irritate your skin, if that still happens, you should give up on this product and look for an alternative.
- Biofreeze Pain Reliever is the #1 clinically used and recommended topical analgesic of hands-on healthcare professionals and for best results use in combination with their care (find one in your area on the Biofreeze website)
- Chiropractors, physical therapists, massage therapists, podiatrists and athletic trainers use Biofreeze to provide immediate relief from many common conditions such as arthritis and other causes of muscle and joint pain
- Biofreeze applies easily and penetrates quickly to relieve aches and pains related to sore muscles and joints, sprains, strains and bruises and can be applied to body parts such as the hand, wrist, elbow, foot, ankle, knee, hip, back, neck and shoulders
- This legendary pain relief formula is clinical research-proven, fast acting and long lasting, completely free of parabens and propylene glycol, made with USP grade ingredients
- The 8 Ounce Gel Pump is particularly well-suited for massage applications on larger muscle areas that benefit from the hands-on approach and is recommended for practitioners who see less than 80 patients per week
- Easy to apply
- A fast-acting formula for instant relief
- You can apply it before or after running sessions
- You shouldn’t apply it if you discover it has an irritating effect on your skin
Blue Emu Foot Therapy
Whether you are a casual or professional runner, it is vital to take proper care of your feet. Blue Emu designed a special foot therapy cream that you can use for various purposes.
- Pamper your Feet with Emu Oil, Shea Butter and Aloe
- Foot Care Safe for diabetics
- Fresh Peppermint smell - Smoothing Foot Care
- Foot Care for Cracked Heels
- Foot Care for Dry Itchy Feet
The main ingredients include aloe vera, shea butter, and emu oil. You may want to use this cream if you have problems with cracked heels, or your feet are itchy and dry.
Although it is nurturing, it doesn’t seem like it has impressive moisturizing effects.
The important thing is that it is capable of soothing feet that are achy or tired, which might make the product a great choice once you are done with your running session. The cream has a pleasant peppermint odor, and it is safe even if you have diabetes.
- An excellent choice to accelerate feet recovery after training
- It can help with cracked heels and itchy feet
- A pleasant peppermint odor
- Moisturizing effects could be better
Biofreeze Pain Relief Patch
Here is a different approach for those who don’t like applying creams.
What do you say about using pain relief patches?
The patches are easy to apply as all it takes is to stick it to the area where you want to experience the product’s effectiveness.
They are, however, not extremely adhesive, so make sure you don’t make sudden movements.
The main ingredient of the formula is menthol, which provides cooling pain relief. The product also contains numerous supportive ingredients.
The manufacturer claims that it can keep you pain-free for up to eight hours, although that largely depends on the pain and the individual.
- #1 Clinically Recommended: Trusted by pharmacists, physical therapists, chiropractors, massage therapists, podiatrists, and athletic trainers
- Unique cooling menthol formula is backed by science and research-proven to deliver fast acting, long lasting and deep penetrating pain relief for sore muscles, backaches, sore joints, and arthritis
- Trusted by some of the world's best athletes and athletic trainers
- Comes with 3 boxes of 5 individually wrapped patches (5.5" x 3.94" - 14 cm x 10 cm) that are made of flexible fabric for superior performance and comfort
- Biofreeze patch provides targeted, mess-free application and penetrates quickly for up to 8 hours of pain relief to body parts such as back, neck, shoulder, knee, wrist, and foot; product is made with USP grade ingredients and free of NSAIDs, parabens, and propylene glycol
- Might keep you pain-free for up to eight hours
- Suitable for muscles, joints, back, and other painful body areas
- Easy to apply and odor-free
- It is not extremely adhesive and may fall off if you make sudden movements
Blue Emu Continuous Pain Relief Spray
When you are in pain, you will try anything to stop it immediately. Runners may experience foot, joint, or even back pain. Blue Emu Continuous Pain Relief Spray is a topical product capable of providing instant pain relief.
It is easy to use as all it takes is to apply it to the area where you feel pain.
The product is fast-acting, and you should experience the first effects after several seconds. The main ingredient is trolamine salicylate 10%, but it is emu oil that promotes absorption.
The formula is free from odors, and it is suitable for sensitive skin. However, keep in mind that it doesn’t have prolonged effectiveness, although it is a great choice when you need momentary pain relief.
- A fast-acting formula
- Odor-free and suitable for sensitive skin
- Trolamine salicylate 10% and emu oil are the main ingredients
- It doesn't have a prolonged effectiveness
Conclusion: Blue Emu vs Biofreeze
Although you can experience with different variations, the Blue Emu Original Analgesic Cream seems to be the most reliable solution on the list.
The original formula is not greasy, and it doesn’t contain any odor. It can soothe both joint and muscles, and it contains emu oil, which boosts the usability of other ingredients.
If you feel like trying an alternative, you can go with a gel or spray solution, or even try wearing a pain relief patch.
However, keep in mind that topical products deal with the pain only temporarily. If the pain continues for over a week, you should consider consulting a doctor.
Last update on 2021-03-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API