Who says that runners should avoid snacks? As long as you choose smartly, eating between meals can boost your energy, and accelerate recovery after an intense run!
Take a look at the top 25 snack choices for runners, and find out how they can help to achieve your running goals and feel better!
1. Energy Bars
We are starting with an obvious choice when it comes to athlete snacks. Energy bars usually contain cereals, as well as the protein and carbs that secure a high dose of energy.
The great thing about these bars is that you can choose from a wide range of manufacturers and flavors. However, try to pick a healthy mixture of ingredients, and make sure to eat them only before your run so that you can burn the calories!
Bananas are so useful that even Healthline recommends them as a pre-run snack.
They can secure the carbs and protein you need during the run, and they can also be a vital ingredient of smoothies. You can even use them after the workout as they can help the recovery.
3. Chocolate Milk
We haven’t met a person who doesn’t like chocolate milk, and the fact it can be a healthy snack makes us love it even more!
Chocolate milk is perfect for rewarding yourself once you complete your run. According to Dr. John Ivy, chocolate milk can accelerate fat burning, and assist in keeping lean muscles. Additionally, the calcium from the milk will boost your bone strength!
Here is another tasty snack choice for runners! Popcorn is a low-calorie, high-fiber snack that can help you to feel full. As these are essentially corn kernels, it is like you are eating whole grain.
However, there is a twist. You should stick to basic microwave popcorn, which means they shouldn’t contain any oil, butter, or salt. The popcorn themselves are healthy, but additional ingredients are not good for your body.
You might not consider carrots a snack, but many of us love eating a baby carrot or two between meals. It is not only tasty but also healthy as carrots are rich in fiber, which promotes satiety.
Carrots are ideal if you ended your run, but there is still an hour or two until dinner. You will satisfy your current cravings, which may also help you to reduce dinner portion size.
- Two bunches of locally grown carrots
- Locally grown produce selected by our personal food shoppers.
- Selections vary according to the season and availability.
- Farm-fresh products sourced directly from your local farms and farmers market.
- Eat healthy; support the local economy and the environment.
We are continuing the list of healthy fruit and veggie snacks with apricots, which have a high quantity of carbs. The other useful nutrients include potassium, fiber, and vitamin A.
Apricots are great if you are running because you want to shed extra pounds. They contain a low amount of fat and can keep you full for a while.
- Contains 48oz of Enhanced Mediterranean Apricots in a Resealable Bag
- Natural Flavor Essence
- Good Source of Potassium
- Good Source of Vitamin E
No, we are not talking about going on dates, although that might be even better than snacking! Joking aside, dates are the favorite snack of many runners out there, and the reason is a generous amount of carbs and protein.
According to Dr. Jackie Buell from Ohio State University, our body uses carbs as muscle fuel. That way, they secure energy during practice.
Dates can be a post-workout snack, too. They contain plenty of protein, which is important to recover and promote muscle strength.
- Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Deglet Noor Dates (Pitted), 2 Pounds
- USDA Certified Organic, Earth Kosher, Non-GMO, Raw, Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Our Deglet Noor dates are grown in California on organic farms and have had their pits removed
- Perfect for snacking and sweetening nut milks
- 100% Money-Back Satisfaction Guarantee - We stand behind our products and offer a 30-day money back guarantee, backed by an outstanding customer service team.
8. Dried Plums
Runners usually combine these with dates because they go well together. Dried plums are rich in carbs, and they also contain satiety-promoting fibers. The combination makes them great during the recovery process.
This video clip: Ready to Race: Nutrition for Every Runner explains what type of food you need before and after your run. Carbs are important at all times, and dried plums can be a great source if you like eating them.
Allow us to give you a little tip – avoid consuming plums before your workout. They have laxative properties, and you shouldn’t have to look for a bathroom in the middle of your run!
The chances are you need to restore hydration to optimal levels after a run. Not many snacks can boost hydration like a watermelon.
It is also packed with vitamins and antioxidants, which can keep your immunity strong. Apart from buying and slicing, no other effort is needed in preparing them, and that simplicity is another plus for watermelons!
10. Fruit Yogurt
Fruit yogurt is a combination of nutrients like potassium and calcium combined with protein and fiber. Unless you are sensitive to dairy, it should be easily digestible.
The high level of protein might make fruit yogurt a better choice after the workout. Not only your muscles will benefit from protein, but bones will appreciate calcium, and even the immune system will profit from yogurt’s active cultures.
- Welch's Strawberry Fruit'n Yogurt Snacks
- Convenient 2 pack for a total of 16 pouches
- 100% vitamin C, 25% vitamin A & D and 10% calcium
- Low fat and less calories
- Delicious snacks made with strawberries, surrounded by Creamy Yogurt
You know oranges are healthy, but did you know that clementines are even healthier? Here is a lesson in biology – clementines are a hybrid of sweet and mandarin oranges.
They are extremely rich in vitamin C and can provide a vital hydration boost after the run. If you are looking for a quick way to feel refreshed, peel a clementine on your way home, and enjoy its benefits.
And if you can’t find clementines in your area, mandarins will do a great job, too!
The main benefit of grapes lies in resveratrol, which is a natural phenol found in grapes. According to Dr. Axe, it is a powerhouse that helps you to combat aging, and keep your waistline perfect.
Grapes are also high in vitamins C and K, which can boost your immunity. Don’t tell anyone, but you can even allow yourself a glass of high-quality red wine occasionally!
13. Almonds, Cashews, and Peanuts
You can’t go wrong with pistachios either, but these seem to be the three most popular nut types out there. They are also packed with nutrients, and they secure protein, fiber, and even healthy fat.
Nuts promote satiety and can help to achieve your weight loss goals while optimizing your overall health. It is vital to avoid salted nuts, as well as those that contain sugar, such as honey-roasted peanuts.
- Protein is an essential part of muscle tissue formation, strengthens the immune system, and keeps you fuller longer. Made from only the finest, quality ingredients, our all natural Protein Packed Fruit & Nut Mix makes a great pre or post- workout snack as well as a delicious part of a daily "weight smart" diet.
- Project Verified Non-GMO, No Artificial Ingredients, Gluten Free, Vegan, Certified Kosher
- Made from only the best, most premium whole nuts, dried fruit and seeds, our delicious trail mix does not contain sulfites, or other preservatives. Our Protein Packed Trail Mix is a unique and satisfying blend of crunchy peanuts, crispy almonds, creamy cashews, tart cherries, tangy raisins, and nutritious pumpkin seeds.
- Our Protein Packed trail mix is perfect for on-the-go snacking. You can also top our delicious trail mix on your salad, oatmeal, or yogurt. Make POWER UP a part of your next adventure!
We won’t lie to you – celery might not be satisfying if you eat it on its own. However, if you combine it with hummus or peanut butter, or even make yourself a small sandwich, you can benefit from its compounds.
Those include potassium and vitamin K, which plays a role in maintaining bone, cognitive, and heart health.
If you are on a healthy diet, the chances are it involves fatty fish. Tuna can be the ideal to go snack whenever you have a little time after training, and you need a protein boost.
The experts do not recommend eating tuna more than a couple of times per week because it might have high mercury levels.
- Flash Frozen
- Tuna Steaks - Ahi: Today Gourmet Foods of NC
- Individually Vacuum Sealed
- Because we are shipping perishable items, there are certain shipping guidelines we must follow to ensure your products arrive frozen. We only ship orders on Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday via FEDEX with a 2 day maximum. Orders placed by 4pm ET will ship out the next shipping day. Orders placed between Wednesday and Sunday 2pm ET will ship the following Monday.
We mentioned some amazing fruits, so why not combine them to make a tasty smoothie? You can experiment with chocolate milk, but if you want to avoid dairy, go with soy or almond milk.
You can feel free to combine bananas, berries, and even nuts. A smoothie can be a refreshing beverage after a workout, as well as an all-around nutrient boost for your organism!
17. Hard-Boiled Egg
If you are a morning runner, you may workout even before breakfast. That is when hard-boiled eggs make the perfect snack once the run ends!
Eggs are rich in protein, which is essential for recovery and muscle building. If you are sensitive, remove the yolk, and stick to egg whites.
If you have a sweet tooth, it is better to combine cereals with milk than eating biscuits or cookies!
Cereals contain fibers, as well as minerals and vitamins, and they are easily digestible. They also promote satiety, especially if you pick a type that has more than 5g of fiber. We recommend non-dairy milk, especially if you eat before training.
- CEREAL: Lucky Charms Cereal is a delicious marshmallow breakfast cereal for the entire family to enjoy
- MAGICAL MARSHMALLOWS: Fun shapes kids and adults will love, now with magical UNICORN MARSHMALLOWS!
- GLUTEN FREE: Gluten free kids breakfast cereal
- WHOLE GRAIN: 19g of whole grain per serving for a well rounded breakfast or snack.
- KIDS SNACK: Enjoy this sweet, crunchy cereal with milk for breakfast by itself for a school snack
19. Cottage Cheese
A non-dairy lifestyle can be healthy, but you should ensure your calcium intake is optimal. That is why you should consume cottage cheese occasionally.
Calcium is important for bones, and protein is vital for muscle repair, which is why this is primarily a post-workout snack.
You may know them as green soybeans. They are a top choice after the run since they are filled with protein and isoflavones that benefit bone and heart health.
Edamame also has a low caloric value, which makes it fit perfectly into a weight loss diet.
Meat can be a snack, too! You can even choose between beef or turkey jerky, and it only depends on your taste.
It is vital to choose a brand with zero added sugar to ensure your snack is completely healthy. Fulfill that condition, and you’ve got yourself a dose of protein needed to recover after training.
- Feed your Wild Side with Full On Flavor: Savory, delicious jerky is perfectly seasoned with soy, ginger, and a little onion to wake up your tastebuds
- 11 Grams of Protein Curbs your Hunger: Stay full and focused, because you don’t want hunger to strike, and getting distracted during a meeting is embarrassing
- Resealable Bag for On-The-Go Snacking: Throw it in your car, gym bag or fanny pack. Don’t risk taking your hanger out on strangers or loved ones
- Excellent Pre or Post Gym Snack: So you can grunt and lift those heavy weights while fueling the rippling muscles you work so hard on
- Rest Easy Knowing Jack Link’s Uses Clean Ingredients: Teriyaki Beef Jerky features a clean label with no added MSG and no preservatives
22. Bell Peppers
The primary benefit of bell peppers lies in their high amount of fiber. They are also convenient – slice them in the morning, and take with you wherever you go.
If you feel like snacking, you can have a healthy meal filled with vitamin C and fiber to promote immunity and satiety. Feel free to combine with hummus for added taste.
Hummus is a dip that was first made in the Middle East, and it includes dried chickpeas, tahini, and garlic. This unique mixture makes it loaded with fiber and protein while ensuring no sugar.
You can use hummus as a dip for healthy crackers or tortilla, or combine with vegetables to make a tasty snack.
- DELICIOUS & AUTHENTIC: Our ready to eat and fresh tasting traditional Middle Eastern Hummus captures the taste of the Middle East- just like mom makes!
- PERFECT PANTRY ESSENTIAL: A healthy & quick snack anytime at home, the office, or outdoors. Shelf stable, no refrigeration needed, with an easy open lid.
- PREMIUM INGREDIENTS: Made with chickpeas and tahini. NO artificial flavors and NO trans-fats. Certified gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan.
- SIMPLE, READY TO SERVE: Scoop hummus into a bowl and drizzle Sultan Olive Oil. Customize your perfect hummus, top with herbs, zaatar, sumac, giardiniera, or shatta- the possibilities are endless!
- FROM OUR FAMILY TO YOURS: Ziyad is family owned and has been providing families with the highest quality products since 1966.
If you are a fan of morning training, but you still can’t skip breakfast, oatmeal can get you loaded with carbs. That can jumpstart your day, or give you an energy boost to endure the entire run.
According to Mayo Clinic, oatmeal can assist in balancing your cholesterol levels, which can be important if you are overweight.
- 22 packets Maple & Brown Sugar, 16 packets Apples & Cinnamon, 14 packets Cinnamon & Spice
- The package length of the product is 6 inches
- The package width of the product is 5 inches
- The package height of the product is 4 inches
25. Gummy Bears
We saved the weird one for last. Gummy bears are not exactly healthy, which is why you should only consume them rarely.
The right moment to take them is when you feel you need an extra push to complete the running session. Gummy bears secure instant carbs, which increase energy level so that you can finish training.
- SWEET, NO SUGAR: Everything you love about the delicious flavor Albanese gummies, minus the sugar. After one bite or our delicious, sugar-free gummies you'll taste the difference of fresh fruit flavors & a soft chew you won't find with any other gummies.
- STOCK UP THE FLAVOR: Whether you like them sweet, sour, big or small, Albanese gummi candies burst with fresh fruit flavors & you can stock up with a bulk pack of your favorite flavor. Delight your tastebuds with Albanese gummy worms, gummy bears & more!
- PERFECT SNACK: Fat free, gluten free, and dairy free, Albanese assorted gummy candies are your new perfect sweet and soft snack. There's a reason Albanese gummies are the world's best & once you try our deliciously fruity assortment, we know you'll agree.
- ALLERGY FRIENDLY: Peanut free, tree nut free, dairy free, MSG free, gluten free, and with no artificial sweeteners, Albanese gummy candies are an allergy friendly snack packed with a sweet, fruity flavor everyone can enjoy. Sweet gummies, giant flavor.
- RECIPE FOR SUCCESS: For over 30 years Albanese has been making delicious treats with high-quality ingredients here in the United States. Taste the difference in our gummies, chocolates, nuts, & mixes!
Last update on 2020-11-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API