Runners are blessed with the options to choose between numerous shoes of various types. Although the competition is stiff, Brooks has established itself as one of the industry leaders.
In this article, we take a look at the Brooks Launch vs Ghost comparison to discover which series is better for the casual runner or which makes more sense for the more seasoned runner.
Brooks Launch vs Ghost - What Are the Difference?
These two shoe lines are more similar than you think.
They not only come from the same manufacturer, but they also belong to the same running shoe type.
Both series are the most suitable for those looking for neutral support.
It weighs nine ounces per shoe, while Ghost is set at 10 ounces per shoe.
The heel to toe drop is also lower in the Launch series (10mm compared to 12mm), as well as heel height.
When it comes to versatility, it depends on the particular model. However, the general rule is that you can use both series indoors and outdoors.
That means that it doesn’t matter if you plan to run on a treadmill in the gym or a specialized track.
Why Should You Choose Brooks Launch?
It is hard to miss how light the Launch series is. Apart from breathability, the single-piece upper also ensures a secure fit, which is not too tight and not too loose.
The shoes perform well regardless of your speed.
Thanks to the cushioning gel in the midsole, the transition is smooth, which adds to overall comfort and minimizes the chances of aches and sprains after training.
We can’t avoid discussing the price. Although it depends on the color combination, the general rule is that Brooks Launch is more affordable than shoes in the Ghost series.
Why Should You Buy Brooks Ghost?
Ghost series has already seen its 12th edition, which speaks in favor of how popular it is among the customers. It is because this is a well-rounded shoe that performs well in all departments.
The product allows you to maximize performance and focus on running without worrying about pain, discomfort, or potential injuries.
The shoes have a fairly tight fit, and the shoelaces are also reliable as they can keep the shoes snug for a long time.
What Are the Things You Should Consider When Buying Running Shoes?
Are you still baffled on how to choose shoes that are the right fit for you? Here are some quick tips that might help:
- Weight – if you will need high-impact resistance, and you plan running on a treadmill or bumpy surfaces, you shouldn’t go for the lightest model out there. However, if you care about maximum comfort, a lightweight shoe can be the way to go.
- Materials – in most cases, running shoes feature a mixture of synthetic fabric, mesh, and rubber. You can’t go wrong if you stick to reputable manufacturers.
- Breathability – it is an important characteristic as it enables as it keeps your feet dry and prevents sweating. That will also help you to put the odor under control.
- Design – you will be able to choose between different color combinations, and you have the freedom of picking a design that suits your choice.
Brooks Launch vs Ghost Running Shoes: Reviews
Brooks Men's Launch 6
The first thing that you notice about Launch 6 is the design. You can choose between ten color combinations, and some of them truly aim for uniqueness.
Fortunately, it is not all about aesthetics with Brooks because these shoes also perform well. The product features springy cushioning that defies gravity and gives a lift to each stride.
These neutral shoes are only at the first energy level, but even that is enough to improve your performance.
The manufacturer ensured to make the shoes as light as possible, and they only weigh nine ounces per item. It might not deem them suitable for extremely long distances, but as long as you keep your run under 12 miles, you should enjoy maximum comfort.
The shoes are versatile, and you can run on road surfaces, use them for cross-training, or head to a treadmill.
- SHOE SIZE: "D" = Medium width
- THIS SHOE IS FOR: This is a great option for neutral, efficient runners who don’t like a super soft shoe. It has just-right spring and is light enough to be a race shoe for longer distances like the marathon.
- ENERGIZED FEEL: Delivers a responsive and springy ride to add extra lift to your stride without compromising support or speed.
- SPRINGY CUSHIONING: BioMoGo DNA midsole cushioning and rebounding rubber create a springy feel underfoot.
- LIGHTWEIGHT FIT: The one-piece mesh upper and internal bootie are so light and breezy, they feel like they’re not even there.
Brooks Ghost 12
If you are looking for neutral shoes with an adequate cushioning level, you should consider Brooks Ghost 12.
We can call these all-around shoes because you can use them for road running, but also wear them every day when you expect to spend a lot of time standing.
Ghost ticks all the three basic boxes expected from running shoes. First, it provides optimal comfort thanks to the cushioning system and the foam insole. The grip also meets all runners’ expectations.
Next, you can expect excellent durability and abrasion resistance. That is admirable because the manufacturer kept the weight at 10 ounces per shoe. Finally, breathability is more than adequate, and you shouldn’t have any problems with moisture management.
You can choose between several color combinations, and they all look sporty but elegant. The only downside is that they are a bit pricey, but that is expected for a new model. On top of that, you will receive a premium shoe designed by a reputable manufacturer.
- THIS SHOE IS FOR: Neutral runners looking for a lightweight shoe and a smooth ride without sacrificing cushioning. Whether you’re a Ghost loyalist or are lacing one up for the first time, you’ll find plenty to like.
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: The neutral support type provides high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym or wherever you might want to take them! Predecessor: Ghost 11
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning work together to provide a just-right softness underfoot without losing responsiveness and durability - yet it feels lighter than ever.
- SMOOTH, STABLE RIDE: No matter how your foot lands, our Segmented Crash Pad - an integrated system of shock absorbers - will cushion every step and stride for smooth heel-to-toe transitions.
- SOFT, SECURE, FIT: The newly engineered mesh and 3D Fit Print practically disappears on your foot with strategically placed stretch and structure.
Brooks Launch 5
If you compare them to the new model in the series, you will notice less foam in the underfoot section.
They are, however, a bit heavier as they weigh 12 ounces per item. It makes them a better choice for extremely long distances. Other than that, the shoe is versatile, and you can use it both indoors and outdoors.
The product features a rubber sole, which contributes to the overall durability, especially when combined with the patented midsole BioMoGo DNA.
The shoes provide a secure and relatively tight fit. Some users may find that the toe box is a bit narrow. The overall comfort is admirable, and the same goes for breathability.
Launch 5 is available in multiple color combinations, and you shouldn’t have a problem finding your favorite.
Brooks Ghost 12 GTX
Ghost 12 GTX is the latest addition to the series. In case you are not familiar, these shoes are specially designed for puddles and wet weather conditions.
Apart from the outsole grip, their durability is improved with a waterproof membrane. It was expected that they would weight a bit more than the standard model, but we can only guess if they could have been lighter than 12 ounces per shoe.
The shoes are very breathable as the waterproof membrane keeps the water out, and mesh fabric allows your feet to breathe to ensure there is no moisture.
The manufacturer chose every component carefully and used a mixture of mesh and synthetic fabric.
The result is a very durable shoe you can take virtually anywhere.
- Surface: Road. Differential: 12mm. Engineer mesh upper with 3D Print synthetic overlays offers a secure fit while providing easy flexibility. GORE-Tex® waterproof membrane keeps out the wet elements while providing a drier and more breathable foot environment. Traditional lace-up closure. Plush tongue and collar. Soft fabric lining for a great in-shoe feel. Removable foam insole for excellent underfoot comfort and support. BioMoGo DNA is a blend of earth-friendly BioMoGo and responsive Br
- Even on rainy days and puddle-filled streets, you will still get a smooth ride with the easy flexibility, long-lasting durability, and reliable outsole grip of the Brooks® Ghost 12 GTX® running shoes.
- Predecessor: Ghost 11 GTX.
- Support Type: Neutral.
- Cushioning: High energizing cushioning.
Brooks Launch 4
These are the last shoes on our list because they are the oldest model of all. The fact that they kept their price speaks enough about their quality.
Launch 4 brought some important innovations for the series. Although each shoe weighs 11 ounces, it is incredibly comfortable and light to wear.
The product does a good job in following the movement of your feet and providing optimal comfort.
Another difference compared to the newer models is the presence of padded collar and tongue.
The footbed is removable in case you want to place another insole, but you shouldn’t have to worry about durability because of the admirable crash pad with high abrasion resistance.
However, the overall longevity could be better as you may notice holes after several months of wearing the shoes.
- Surface: Road. Differential: 10 mm. 3D Fit Print upper technology applies strategic stretch and structure for a better fit and feel. Air mesh fabric upper provides optimal breathability and moisture management. Lace-up closure. Padded tongue and collar. Soft fabric lining supplies a great in-shoe feel. Removable Engage footbed. Full-length S-257 Cushsole midsole compound utilizes an insole board for increased plush and flexibility. BioMoGo DNA midsole supplies long-lasting cushioning, and fe
- Ready. Set. Blast off! Set your run in gravity-defying cushioning and response of the Brooks® Launch 4 running shoe.
- Predecessor: Launch 3.
- Support Type: Neutral.
- Cushioning: Lightweight, flexible response.
Conclusion: Brooks Launch vs Ghost Running Shoes Comparison:
The thing that we can claim at the end of our Brooks Launch vs Ghost comparison is that this is a premium manufacturer that knows how to make running shoes.
From the models included in the list, Brooks Launch 6 takes the win.
The shoes feature the right balance of aesthetics and functionality. They are lightweight but durable, and suitable to use both indoors and outdoors.
The shoes are ideal for those looking for neutral support. Users who appreciate a beautiful shoe will also like the unique color combinations the manufacturer selected.
Make sure not to rash your decision – think things through, and pick carefully. That is the best way to find the perfect running shoe for your needs!
Last update on 2020-08-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API