The 4 Best Treadmills under $400 That Are Actually Worth Buying for 2019.
Getting a treadmill on a tight budget is hard these days as prices are going out the range that most of us cannot afford.
I've compiled the best treadmills under $400 that are a great value, deliver results, are relatively quiet and have great reviews.
Before I dig in, I would also recommend you pick up a treadmill mat as this will save your floor from the constant pressure.
I break down the ones that are good for carpet and hardwoods here.
Before the top four, a few things should be considered before you buy the treadmill.
What you should look for when purchasing a treadmill under 400:
- Deck Size: it is important to pay attention to the running deck size, each model has a different size of the deck, the lower priced treadmills in most cases have the smallest deck sizes but not all.
- If you are looking for more than a running surface in a treadmill, then comfort should also be considered. A deck of 18 inches is adequate for this budget range.
- Horsepower: even though this depends on what you have planned for the treadmill, the power is critical.
- People buy the treadmill for running, walking or jogging. For jogging, a horsepower of 1.0 hp is adequate. However, if you plan to do serious running, a hp of 1.5 to 2.0 is needed for you to reach top speeds.
- Folding design: when you are dealing with a tight space at home or in the gym, you need a treadmill that is compact to occupy a small space and easily folds flat for storage in a small space at home.
- Not every treadmill is foldable, so you need to assess each type based on your needs carefully.
- Delivery: having at least three people helping you during the delivery day is recommended. They are usually heavy, and if you have to go up some flights of stairs, you surely need the help to avoid breaking your back or damaging the treadmill. The weight does not allow it to slide over carpets without causing damages so it should be lifted all through.
- The good news is that Amazon delivers and in many cases they can put it together for you.
- Space: plan well for space where you will place the treadmill before going out to buy. The available space will determine what type and size of a treadmill to buy.
- It should be used in a spacious room and stored well so consider all these as you make your budget. The dimensions provided here can help you make a decision on which treadmill to buy to fit your available space.
- Weight limits: the weight limit the treadmill supports is a vital aspect to consider. Some may support a weight lower than what will be subjected to it during use.
- If you break the weight limit, the manufacturer may not cover the warranty anymore.
The 4 Best Treadmills Under $400
The entry level, very basic treadmill.
This motorized electric treadmill allows you to walk and run very comfortably at home. The size is compact for easy use in small spaces and store away in small spaces at home. Its screen displays multiple functions as performed on the treadmill and best suits users under the 250-pound weight.
With a runway measuring 38.5 inches long and 14 inches wide, you can comfortably run on it just like the premium priced treadmills.
It is a good value given its price, and the manufacturer has given a warranty on the parts, frame and motor for a year. The treadmill folds easily to conveniently fit spaces at home.
- This value treadmill allows you to run easily in the comfort of your own home
- Multi-function LED displays how your workout on this running machine is going
- The treadmill folds down for easy storage, and is suitable for users up to 250 lbs
- Many customers have converted this treadmill into a walking treadmill desk (parts to do this are not included, just for inspiration)
Confidence power plus can support speeds of 0.6 to 6.2 miles per hour. The 600-watt motor, however, does not deliver enough power to reach 1.0 hp.
The motor is programmed to turn off after 30 minutes of use but can restart it immediately.
Its portability is one of its top advantages to the home user as it weighs only 49 pounds and comes with attached wheels.
The treadmill is very compact for easy storage and usage in small spaces like a corner, under the bed or in a closet. It’s speed is appealing to walkers seeking a cheap treadmill as it can attain a 10-minute mile very quickly.
Its dimensions are 49″ L x 24″ W x 50 H and has no built-in programs.
2. Weslo Cadence G 5.9
If you want a great value with bells and some whistles then this one is for you.
Weslo is among the well-known treadmills in the market due to its robust and stable structure. It comes with six different personal trainer workouts to give you quick results within the shortest time.
It is easy to change incline and the speed when using this treadmill and you are sure of safety when jogging or walking on this treadmill.
Cleaning the running surface is easy and comfortable meaning you get to enjoy using and cleaning the treadmill.
This treadmill is one of the most compact for small spaces at home making it a top choice for those who live in an apartment.
It has a ramp to help increase burning of calories; this can be adjusted to two positions.
It has blue tinted LCD on the console that shows speed, distance, time elapsed and the calories burned, and you can choose from the six preset workouts.
It comes with a motor warranty of just one year and warranty on parts being 90 days.
The main selling points of this treadmill are its compact size at 64.5 inches long and 29 inches wide making it fit even less space when folded between workouts.
The deck can be moved to a vertical position as well as the low price and preset workouts contribute to the attractiveness of this machine.
Overall a great value, making it one of the best budget treadmills on the market.
Weslo also has the 5.2 version which is very similar price wise and functions. Here is a good article that compares the two.
Sunny Health & Fitness is not as well known of a treadmill brand than Weslo but still deliver a quality product at a fair price.
Consider this treadmill the next step above the Weslo Cadence.
With three (3) incline levels, 9 programs and a strong 2.2 horsepower motor, you have a solid treadmill at a great price.
The simple to read LCD monitor is one of the great selling points about this machine.
The display is shows the time, calories, distance, and heart rate. There is a holder for your iPad, phone and water. Many of the reviews online state that the heart rate monitor is 100% correct, which is a knock on some of the higher-end machines.
The small issue with this treadmill is that after a few months you will have to apply some light grease to keep it rolling at optimum performance. Sunny Health & Fitness does send over a small pack of grease to help.
Size wise, it's a little smaller than the 5.9 mentioned above.
Similar to the Weslo Cadence, this is a great budget treadmill.
The treadmill has 12 programs and three (3) manual incline levels.
The 5” blue-ray LCD display easily tracks your hand pulse, speed, distance, time and calories. The incremental speed settings can be adjusted from 0.5MPH to a maximum of 7.5MPH.
Size wise it foldable and has a running track of 39" which is a little larger than the others mentioned here. Overall Size: 63” X 28.7” X 52.7”(L X W X H)
Weight wise, 220lbs is the limit for this one.
The type of treadmill you finally settles on will have to satisfy many characteristics including price, quality, delivery, usability and it should most of all be able to provide you with the kind of exercise you initially set out to do as comfortable as possible.
Hopefully this helps you sort out what treadmill makes the most sense for you.
Last update on 2019-02-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API