The 5 Best Treadmills for Running Under $500 [2019 Edition]
It is a common misconception in the fitness world that you have to invest tens of thousands of dollars before ending up with decent gym or workout equipment.
But this couldn’t be any further from the truth.
Contrary from what most people think, there has been a steady inception of low-budget models of treadmills ( priced under $500 ) that are gradually shifting the landscape and enabling more people to maintain a well-trim profile without necessarily breaking the bank.
So buckle up and let’s shed some crucial light on this. Here are the 5 best treadmills for running under $500 for 2019.
PRO TIP: BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEW TREADMILL
There are quite a few things that you need to bear in mind before purchasing or window shopping for a new treadmill.
Don’t let that attractive (sub $500) price tag tempt you into forgetting about the following:
1. Do you Need it for Running or Walking?
Some models of treadmills are meant to be used strictly for walking, while some can serve as either running or slow strolling treadmills.
So it is imperative that you choose the right equipment for the kind of workout that you think will dominate your cardio sessions.
2. The Size
This goes hand-in-hand with the space that you have available at home or in your gym and workout office.
The rule of the thumb here is that your treadmill should be placed in a way that there is plenty of space left for accessing the equipment.
Additionally, it is also advisable to make sure that the treadmill and its related accessories will fit through doorways, stairs and entryways leading up to your home or apartment – especially if you’re planning on having it stand in your basement or topmost floor.
Speaking of floor, if you need a treadmill mat we break down which ones are really good for carpet, & hardwoods here.
3. Extra Additional Features
Apart from the basic locomotion simulation feature, some modern and newer models come equipped with custom program options, heart rate monitors, shock absorbers, progress data recording and storage capabilities, etc.
Obviously, there is no use in buying a treadmill with too many unnecessarily features that you’re barely going to use.
Comprehensive Reviews of the 5 Best Treadmills Under $500
1. Confidence GTR Power Pro
For enthusiastic walkers and joggers, the Confidence GTR Power Pro is one the best options if you’re on a shoestring budget and looking for something under $500.
Maxing out at a speed of 7.5 MPH and fitted with three manual incline settings, the GTR Power Pro weighs only 62 pounds.
Which makes it an excellent choice, particularly if you’re pressed for space and sometimes have to move your equipment around the house.
- Electric treadmill designed for home use
- Adjustable manual incline
- Multi-function LED display with pulse monitor
- Folds down for easy storage
On the downside, though, if you’re used to working out on a heavier machine, you might not feel as secure or ‘grounded’ on this particular model.
However, this does not mean that the Power Pro is less stable or safer than the heavier alternatives.
Once you get used to its lighter frame, you will even appreciate the 12 built-in pre-programmed workout programs that are meant to create subtle muscle confusion during your workout routine so that you don’t plateau.
2. Sunny Health & Fitness Treadmill
Currently one of the best and most versatile treadmills below $500, the Sunny Health and Fitness treadmill is relatively easy to assemble and lightweight as well.
On top of this, it comes with a large display screen and pre-fitted with 9 workout programs which are bolstered with three mechanical incline positions for that ideal workout and cardio session.
- 2.20 peak HP drive system provides speeds of 0.5 - 9 MPH along with 3 manual options for adjusting incline levels (0%, 2%, 4.37%)
- Designed for a max user weight of 220 lbs with 48.8L x 15.75W inches of running surface
- Easy folding mechanism and soft drop system helps you unfold your treadmill safely and hands free
- Handrail controls allow you to control speed, start and stop. Pause function - Press the stop button once to stop the belt and pause your run while keeping your current data and running stats intact
- 9 Built-in workout programs with large LCD displays time, distance, speed, calories burned and pulse. Convenient smart phone/tablet holder is included to fit different devices. Make sure to adjust both sides equally to ensure a correct belt alignment
As far as portability goes, the Sunny Health & Fitness equipment can fold easily and is far narrower than the conventional treadmills that you will come across in a gym store.
What’s more, given that it’s lighter than some other models and easy to fold up, means that the
Sunny would make a perfect workout machine if you plan to use in a spare room or even your living room.
From an overall value perspective, this treadmill is also on the best budget ones on the market.
3. The Exerpeautic TF1000
Runners you might have to sit out on this one. The Exerpeutic is a versatile, well-built treadmill for slow jogging and walking.
It maxes out at a 4 MPH and comes fitted with ultra-long safety handles for those of us that prefer that extra stability when jogging or strolling.
- Electric walking treadmill with 1.5-horsepower high-torque motor
- Adjustable speed up to 4 miles per hour in 0.1 mph increments
- 20-inch-wide treadmill belt; extra-long 18-inch safety handles
- LCD display monitors time, distance, calories burned, speed, and pulse
- Supports up to 400 pounds; folding frame; 5-year motor and 1-year frame warranty
It runs quietly and glides smoothly unlike other models that have noisy motors.
Therefore, if you’re looking for something that won’t wake your sleeping toddler or disrupt the neighbor downstairs,( and still costs less than $500 ), then this is your perfect fit.
The icing on the cake is that despite the low price tag, the TF1000 comes with an impressive 5-year frame and motor warranty.
4. The Weslo Cadence G 5.9 Treadmill
Priced around $300 in most gym equipment outlets, the Weslo Cadence is a budget top-selling model that is equipped with 6 built-in workout programs and a heart rate monitor to boot.
It's arguably the most popular budget treadmill and because of the price point, size, value and durability it is also one of the most recommended for those living in an apartment.
- Go to ifit.com/activate to redeem your one month iFit membership and activate your equipment for unlimited workout programs and experiences
- Space saver design: fold it up and walk away-in one easy step
- Integrated tablet holder: keeps your tablet secure and conveniently close. Treadmill accommodates up to 275 pounds
- 16" x 50" tread belt: perfect for users of all heights, you'll be comfortable while you reach your goals
- Warranty: 1-Year motor Warranty and 90-Day parts & Labor Warranty
As far as the top speed goes, the Weslo Cadence can do a maximum of 10mph – implying that it can the well-cushioned tread platform can handle slow runs as well as brisk walks.
Other than this, this Cadence machine runs quite smoothly and a has a badge of certification from top fitness professionals.
5. ProForm 6.0 RT Treadmill
Being a wide machine, the ProForm has an 18″ by 55″ cushioned tread platform. Despite this, it can fold up and be stashed away pretty easily, thus complementing its easy-to-install standing.
A combination of this makes the $500 treadmill an excellent choice for top performers.
- 16 x 50 tread belt, SpaceSaver design, LCD window with priority display, racetrack display, 8 built-in workouts.NOTE: Kindly refer the user manual before usage of the product.
- 2.0 chp mach motor, dual-grip EKG heart RATE monitor, 0-10 percent quick incline Control, 0-10 MPH quick speed Control, treadsoft cushioning
- Compatible music port for IPod, IPod is a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the US and other countries; IPod not included
Speaking of which, as far as functionality goes, the ProForm comes with 8 workout apps, multiple LCD displays, and has the provision for a 10% inclination for those highly intensive workouts.
A blend of all these sets it as the perfect workout companion especially if you plan on keeping track of your performance and fitness progress over a long period.
The Bottom Line
Having a treadmill at the comfort of your home will save you that occasional expensive trip to the gym and it also makes you less likely to procrastinate or fall out from your workout regimen.
From space-saving to simplicity to decent built-in fitness apps, these 5 low budget treadmills offer most of the things that you would find in high-end models but without compromising on safety and basic functionality.
Last update on 2019-02-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API