The 5 Best Treadmills for Running Under $500 [2019 Edition]
It is a common misconception in the fitness world that you have to invest tens of thousands of dollars before ending up with decent gym or workout equipment.
But this couldn’t be any further from the truth.
Contrary from what most people think, there has been a steady inception of low-budget models of treadmills (priced under $500) that are gradually shifting the landscape and enabling more people to maintain a well-trim profile without necessarily breaking the bank.
So buckle up and let’s shed some crucial light on this.
Here is a quick comparison chart of the 5 best treadmills for running under $500 for 2019.
PRO TIP: BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEW TREADMILL
There are quite a few things that you need to bear in mind before purchasing or window shopping for a new treadmill.
Don’t let that attractive (sub $500) price tag tempt you into forgetting about the following:
1. Do you Need it for Running or Walking?
Some models of treadmills are meant to be used strictly for walking, while some can serve as either running or slow strolling treadmills.
So it is imperative that you choose the right equipment for the kind of workout that you think will dominate your cardio sessions.
2. The Size
This goes hand-in-hand with the space that you have available at home or in your gym and workout office.
The rule of the thumb here is that your treadmill should be placed in a way that there is plenty of space left for accessing the equipment.
Additionally, it is also advisable to make sure that the treadmill and its related accessories will fit through doorways, stairs and entryways leading up to your home or apartment – especially if you’re planning on having it stand in your basement or topmost floor.
Speaking of floor, if you need a treadmill mat we break down which ones are really good for carpet, & hardwoods here.
3. Extra Additional Features
Apart from the basic locomotion simulation feature, some modern and newer models come equipped with custom program options, heart rate monitors, shock absorbers, progress data recording and storage capabilities, etc.
Obviously, there is no use in buying a treadmill with too many unnecessarily features that you’re barely going to use.
Comprehensive Reviews of the 5 Best Treadmills Under $500
1. Xterra TR150 Treadmill
This budget-friendly machine is perfect for those who want to spend less than $500 on a quality treadmill without an overwhelming number of bells and whistles. It is also the highest rated among the treadmills on this list.
At only 108lbs with a folding deck design, this treadmill covers all your basic needs. The quiet 2.25 HP motor and XTRASoft Cushioned Deck make this 16”x50” running surface ultra-smooth.
There are 12 preset programs, a manual program, and 3 manual incline options that bring variety to your training routine.
For a more comprehensive review of all of the features, benefits and other important details on the Xterra TR150 check out this article.
- Large 16" X 50" Walking/running surface
- Large 5 inch LCD display is easy to read and keeps you updated on speed, incline, time, distance, calories, and pulse
- Speed range 0. 5 -10 MPH allows for users of all fitness levels
- 12 preset programs offer unmatched variety for your workouts
- 3 Manual incline settings allow for maximum variety. Side rails: plastic. Belt: 1 ply, 1. 4mm
The large 5” LCD display tells you your speed, incline, time, distance, calories, and pulse (measured on the handlebars) make sure that you are hitting your goals for every workout.
Maxing out at 10mph, this machine boasts quick access speed buttons that allow you to adjust your pace throughout your run.
For the multi-taskers who enjoy an at-home walk, jog, or run, you’ll be pleased with the integrated media shelf and accessory holder that will hold your tablet, book, mp3 player, water bottle, and other workout necessities.
As you can see, this machine is perfect for someone who wants a basic, entry-level treadmill to accomplish their fitness goals.
In inevitable, that when researching the good value treadmills that have a high number of reviews that you run into the Xterra TR150 and the Weslo Cadence G 5.9. To help you decide which one might be better for you, this article should help.
2. Sunny Health & Fitness Treadmill
Currently one of the best and most versatile treadmills below $500, the Sunny Health and Fitness treadmill is relatively easy to assemble and lightweight as well.
On top of this, it comes with a large display screen and pre-fitted with 9 workout programs which are bolstered with three mechanical incline positions for that ideal workout and cardio session.
- 2.20 peak HP drive system provides speeds of 0.5 - 9 MPH along with 3 manual options for adjusting incline levels (0%, 2%, 4.37%)
- Designed for a max user weight of 220 lbs with 48.8L x 15.75W inches of running surface
- Easy folding mechanism and soft drop system helps you unfold your treadmill safely and hands free; Less impact force on your legs and joints, treadmill cushioning allows you to work out longer with less fatigue versus running outside on hard asphalt.
- Handrail controls allow you to control speed, start and stop. Pause function - Press the stop button once to stop the belt and pause your run while keeping your current data and running stats intact
- 9 Built-in workout programs with large LCD displays time, distance, speed, calories burned and pulse. Convenient smart phone/tablet holder is included to fit different devices. Make sure to adjust both sides equally to ensure a correct belt alignment
As far as portability goes, the Sunny Health & Fitness equipment can fold easily and is far narrower than the conventional treadmills that you will come across in a gym store.
What’s more, given that it’s lighter than some other models and easy to fold up, means that the
Sunny would make a perfect workout machine if you plan to use in a spare room or even your living room.
From an overall value perspective, this treadmill is also on the best budget ones on the market.
Read all about the features and benefits for the Sunny Health & Fitness treadmill here in the in-depth review.
3. The Exerpeautic TF1000
Runners you might have to sit out on this one. The Exerpeutic is a versatile, well-built treadmill for slow jogging and walking.
It maxes out at a 4 MPH and comes fitted with ultra-long safety handles for those of us that prefer that extra stability when jogging or strolling.
- Electric walking treadmill with 1.5-horsepower high-torque motor
- Adjustable speed up to 4 miles per hour in 0.1 mph increments
- 20-inch-wide treadmill belt; extra-long 18-inch safety handles
- LCD display monitors time, distance, calories burned, speed, and pulse
- Supports up to 400 pounds; folding frame; 5-year motor and 1-year frame warranty
It runs quietly and glides smoothly unlike other models that have noisy motors.
Therefore, if you’re looking for something that won’t wake your sleeping toddler or disrupt the neighbor downstairs,( and still costs less than $500 ), then this is your perfect fit.
The icing on the cake is that despite the low price tag, the TF1000 comes with an impressive 5-year frame and motor warranty.
For an in-depth, comprehensive review check out this article.
4. The Weslo Cadence G 5.9 Treadmill
Priced around $300 in most gym equipment outlets, the Weslo Cadence is a budget top-selling model that is equipped with 6 built-in workout programs and a heart rate monitor to boot.
It's arguably the most popular budget treadmill and because of the price point, size, value and durability it is also one of the most recommended for those living in an apartment.
- Go to ifit.com/activate to redeem your one month iFit membership and activate your equipment for unlimited workout programs and experiences
- Space saver design: fold it up and walk away in one easy step
- Integrated tablet holder: keeps your tablet secure and conveniently close. Treadmill accommodates up to 275 pounds
- 16 inches x 50 inches tread belt: perfect for users of all heights, you'll be comfortable while you reach your goals
- Warranty: 1 Year motor Warranty and 90 Day parts and Labor Warranty
As far as the top speed goes, the Weslo Cadence can do a maximum of 10mph – implying that it can the well-cushioned tread platform can handle slow runs as well as brisk walks.
Other than this, this Cadence machine runs quite smoothly and a has a badge of certification from top fitness professionals.
For the complete, more in-depth review, check out this article
5. ProForm 6.0 RT Treadmill
Being a wide machine, the ProForm has an 18″ by 55″ cushioned tread platform. Despite this, it can fold up and be stashed away pretty easily, thus complementing its easy-to-install standing.
A combination of this makes the $500 treadmill an excellent choice for top performers.
Be sure to pop over and view the full review here.
- 16 x 50 tread belt, SpaceSaver design, LCD window with priority display, racetrack display, 8 built-in workouts.NOTE: Kindly refer the user manual before usage of the product.
- 2.0 chp mach motor, dual-grip EKG heart RATE monitor, 0-10 percent quick incline Control, 0-10 MPH quick speed Control, treadsoft cushioning
- Compatible music port for IPod, IPod is a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the US and other countries; IPod not included
- The ProForm 6.0 RT Treadmill accommodates up to 300 lbs;Number of Programs: 6
- This Treadmill is protected by a 5-Year frame and motor Warranty and a 90-Day parts and Labor Warranty
Speaking of which, as far as functionality goes, the ProForm comes with 8 workout apps, multiple LCD displays, and has the provision for a 10% inclination for those highly intensive workouts.
A blend of all these sets it as the perfect workout companion especially if you plan on keeping track of your performance and fitness progress over a long period.
The Bottom Line
Having a treadmill at the comfort of your home will save you that occasional expensive trip to the gym and it also makes you less likely to procrastinate or fall out from your workout regimen.
From space-saving to simplicity to decent built-in fitness apps, these 5 low budget treadmills offer most of the things that you would find in high-end models but without compromising on safety and basic functionality.
Last update on 2019-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API