The 4 Best Treadmills for Apartments that are actually worth it (Reviews & Top Picks)
Compact, yet capable treadmills are a perfect fit for apartments that have a premium on extra space. These small treadmills sit quietly in the corner until you’re ready to use it in the morning or after an exhausting day at work. Below, you’ll get to see the four best treadmills for apartments for 2019.
These machines can definitely get you into shape while leaving only a small footprint.
If you would rather skip the reading, below I break each one of them down by durability and quality.
One recommendation that I would like to point out before you read on is to make sure you pick up a treadmill mat.
They can help reduce noice and some are designed for hardwoods, carpets, etc. I segmented them by flooring type in this article.
The 4 Best Apartment Treadmills [2019 Edition]
The first thing you’ll notice as you check out the Weslo Cadence 5.9 is the price, it is the most affordable AND the highest reviewed treadmill on the market today.
The size of the treadmill is perfect for an apartment and the space saver design helps you store it when you are not using it. For an even deeper review of the 5.9 and comparison to it's little brother the 5.2, you can check out this article.
- Low Price
- A wide track allows for versatile walks, sprints and runs
- Has the 6 workout programs
- 10mph max pace - if you not a fast runner this is perfect
- Not a lot of bells and whistles. This is a very basic but effective treadmill.
2. NordicTrack Commercial 1650
The 1650 is one of the best treadmills to come from NordicTrack.
There’s a reason why it is one of the highest-rated on apartment-type treadmill equipment- the NordicTrack 1650 comes with a built-in iFit technology and a web browser packed in a high-definition touchscreen.
The industry specs are nothing to sneeze at either.
The Commercial 1650 has the bells and whistles to make walking, sprinting or running in place a wonderful experience.
The machine can support a wide variety of users, thanks to its wide dimensions, a hefty 3.8 CHP motor, an excellent running surface and a sturdy frame.
Open the electronic interface and access any of the 38 workout-related apps for an optimized fitness experience.
- 10 inch web-enabled touchscreen. Stay in Control of your workout with an impressive 10-inch web-enabled touchscreen. Quickly view your speed, time, distance, calories burned, heart rate, incline, and decline on the large, easy-to-read display
- 3.5 chp drive System. Train safer, longer and quieter. Built with a bigger motor case for less vibration and dual cooling fans for less heat, this 3.5 continuous horsepower motor delivers lasting power that's smooth and consistent
- 20 x 60 inch tread belt. This tread belt is specifically designed to reduce noise and friction for a quieter workout and longer lasting product. It's stretch resistant and engineered to stay centered on the deck
- Plug your ipod into the console sound System and stay motivated with your workout playlist. Ditch your ear buds for incredible sound from dual 2-inch speakers
- 34 workout Apps. Get professional training with 34 preloaded workouts designed by Certified personal trainers. Choose from calorie, heart rate Control, incline, and speed workout programs
Open the presets for heart rate control, calorie burn, speed training and interval training if you want to get a challenge while getting fit. You can also get more apps via the iFit app from the web.
The 7″ touchscreen is responsive enough to allow easy programming and simulate outdoor training quite well.
Rounding out the specs are built-in 3″ speakers connected to iPod docks, Polar T34 chest strap, a platform for putting your smartphone or tablet, and a WhisperQuiet technology that ensures each step falls with minimal sound.
- SpaceSaver design. Comes with wheels and is foldable.
- Incline and decline angles from -3% to +15%.
- Patented Whisper Quiet technology.
- 7-inch high definition tablet with a speedy web browser.
- Large running dimensions with a strong 3.8 CHP motor.
- 38 workout apps included. Use the iFit app for unlimited workout programs.
- Has 3-inch speakers with an iPod compatible dock.
- Foldable feature is hampered by a hefty 315-pound weight.
So you’re serious about your training goals, but your apartment is cramping your treadmill space?
When it comes to saving space, this Sunny Health & Fitness Treadmill is perfect for apartment dwellers.
The folding mechanism on this treadmill is easy with hydraulic supports that help you unfold the treadmill safely.
With a smaller 48.82” x 15.75” tread belt, this treadmill is only 62” x 27” when unfolded. When you’ve folded it, its footprint shrinks to only 36” x 26” for ease of storage.
It even has transportation wheels so you can easily tuck it away when you’re done training. During your workouts, you can count on the shock absorption deck to reduce noise and impact.
- 2.20 peak HP drive system provides speeds of 0.5 - 9 MPH along with 3 manual options for adjusting incline levels (0%, 2%, 4.37%)
- Designed for a max user weight of 220 lbs with 48.8L x 15.75W inches of running surface
- Easy folding mechanism and soft drop system helps you unfold your treadmill safely and hands free
- Handrail controls allow you to control speed, start and stop. Pause function - Press the stop button once to stop the belt and pause your run while keeping your current data and running stats intact
- 9 Built-in workout programs with large LCD displays time, distance, speed, calories burned and pulse. Convenient smart phone/tablet holder is included to fit different devices. Make sure to adjust both sides equally to ensure a correct belt alignment
You don’t need to sacrifice training options because of the smaller size of this machine.
There is an easy-to-read LCD display that will measure your time, distance, calories and pulse with 9 different programs to choose from, including manual mode.
You can reach speeds of up to 9 MPH. There are three manual incline options at 0%, 2% or 4.37% to help you maximize the intensity of your workout.
Featuring convenient handrail controls and pulse grips, you’ll be able to adjust your workout easily. The control panel is basic and user friendly.
There are two cup holders on the machine so you can stay hydrated without interrupting your workout.
- Space Saver
- LCD Screen
- 9MPH max
- Very light and portable
- Better than the G5.9 but not a ton of bells and whistles. Super basic.
When it comes to using your treadmill in an apartment, space and sound are two important considerations.
The challenge lies in finding a machine that can accommodate small space and low noise without sacrificing functionality.
The Nordictrack T 6.5S has figured it out.
For saving space, this machine has managed to fit a 20” x 55” tread belt onto a machine with unfolded dimensions of 73” x 35.75” and a folded size of about 25” x 36”.
It even features built-in wheels for maneuverability when folded.
TheEasyLift hydraulic assist folding mechanism ensures your machine will not slam onto the floor when you unfold it for use.
- Go to ifit.com/activate to redeem your one month iFit membership and activate your equipment for unlimited workout programs and experiences
- IFit provides a vast library of workouts and programs available for download
- Get the training you want with 20 built-in workouts designed by a Certified personal trainer to help you achieve your fitness goals
- Digitally adjust your incline up to 10 percent to add intensity to your workout and target specific muscle groups
- Create your own custom workout using Google Maps; 300 pounds User Weight Capacity
If you have neighbors below you, they’ll especially appreciate the FlexSelect Cushioned deck that will help reduce noise. It also reduces impact to your joints to help you prevent injuries.
Other noise-reduction features include the 2.6 continuous horsepower motor that will help you train safer for longer periods of time.
The tread bely is designed to reduce noise and friction with a specialized lubricant that increases performance without compromising the longevity of the belt.
Other impressive features on this machine include the power adjustable incline (up to 10%) and speed (up to 10MPH) to help you customize the workout that is best for your fitness goals.
If you choose, you can engage any of the 20 preset workout programs.
The iFit capabilities of this machine can take your workout even further, featuring access to thousands of workouts and challenges designed by top-notch fitness professionals.
The 5” backlit display measures your speed, time, distance, and calories burned. Using the EKG grip pulse, it will also display your heart rate.
One touch buttons make this control panel user friendly. Other features include two cup holders, an auxiliary port and two 2” speakers.
- Boasts a top speed of 10mph for the hard-core runner.
- A large LCD readout display
- 20 workout apps included. Use the iFit app for unlimited workout programs.
- SpaceSaver technology makes the 6.5S extremely foldable and compact when needed.
- Speakers and cupholder
- Lifetime warranty on motor, deck and frame.
- Access to iFit requires an add-on monitor for $99.
Factors to consider when choosing the right treadmill
- Space. How much space do you have at home? This is an important element to consider, especially if you’re living in a condo, apartment or similar living conditions. Technology is such that there are now folding treadmills that can be tucked away under your bed or in a corner when you’re not using them. The frames are made of lightweight materials so anyone can assemble or fold them.
- Portability. It’s not uncommon to see treadmills that are optimized for portability. This means your treadmill can be moved from one room to another, or even to another house with little to no trouble at all.
- Most models have rollers, or wheels that can be used for an easier way to move them around the house.
- Features. Modern treadmills for apartments now come with pre-programmed workouts and features that you might find extra useful.
- Do you want to get the benefits of a cardio exercise without distracting thoughts or having to memorize your route? These types of treadmills take up little space and are light enough to provide a few notable elements. Tech-savvy people and those who want to improve their exercises in any way possible should place features somewhere on the top when shopping for treadmills.
- You can find machines that have built-in heart rate monitors and offer customized goals for extra motivation. Some may even have a platform or an interface you can attach your smartphone or tablet to.
- Operation. If noise is a big factor for you, then choose a treadmill that produces little to no noise as you use them. This aspect is especially important if you want to have a quick workout without disturbing or waking up the rest of your family or friends.
- Budget. How much are you willing to spend on a treadmill? Compact treadmills come with attractive price tags and are great for first-time walkers and runners. As long as the functions of the treadmill serve you in making you sweat and keep you healthy, then they are indeed a fantastic bargain.
With vast useful features packed in space-efficient treadmills and its great potential towards improving your health, this machine is worth a try.
Next to finding the best treadmill that perfectly fits your apartment and preferences is learning of the right ways to use it for optimal results towards attaining your fitness goals.
Last update on 2019-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API