We discussed how bad blisters can be and how to prevent/treat them in this post here.
To summarize blisters are caused by three main issues:
So without further delay, here my criteria for selecting a really solid pair of socks for running to prevent blisters.
- Compression Style
- Moisture Wicking Fabric
These five socks that we list here are all specifically running socks designed for running and can work to prevent blisters in other forward motion activities. Most of which are good any weather socks.
All of which are linked to Amazon for your reference, lets take a look.
Top 5 Best Socks For Running
Our Top Choice:
When it comes to all-around comfort and reliability you’ll have trouble finding a better sock than the Balega Blister Resistant Quarter Sock, these provide ample cushioning and protection for your run.
Balega is known for providing only the best and most comfortable cushioning that will last you on almost all of your runs. They are not thin socks, so if you prefer that these may not be the way to go, but you’re going to get a very high build quality out of these.
This sock’s comfort comes from a blend of natural mohair and Drynamix fabric, which is great for blister prevention.
To elaborate, this Synthetic Drynamix fabric works to wicks moisture away to keep feet dry, while soft mohair regulates temperature and minimizes friction between your foot and your shoes.
This can be particularly helpful while running in wet conditions because when your socks get wet you are more prone to getting blisters.
- No show cushioned running sock provides comfort and performance during extended training and activity
- Proprietary Drynamix wicks moisture away from skin, and specially constructed, reinforced microfiber mesh ventilation panels keep feet dry
- Hand linked seamless toe box minimizes friction, preventing chafing on top of the foot; reinforced heel and toe for durability
- High heel tab and extra deep heel pocket prevent socks from slipping down; enhanced Elastane provides additional no slip security
- High volume impact resistant cushioning and plush 200 needle count fabric offer race tested foot protection
The microfiber mesh ventilation panels and a wide arch band eliminate pressure marks, provide support, and promote circulation throughout your foot to prevent swelling throughout your runs.
With seamless construction, an extra deep heel pocket, and elastic rib you’re going to have a secure fit.
Finally, the high-volume cushioning provides comfort for long durations of training. It has also been race-tested, and the natural fibers are ideal for blister-prone skin.
The Rockay Accelerate sock has been marked as one of the best anti-blister running socks on the market.
This sock has been praised by multiple review companies for offering a terrific all-around fit, feel, and comfort. It is a sock that is trusted by the experts!
The comfort comes from an ideal grade fabric called Econyl, which is a premium quality regenerated nylon yarn. Even better yet, it is made from recycled ocean waste and landfill fabrics so you can feel good about your purchase.
It also features a new Polygiene coating, which means you can wear them more and wash them less without any stench or negative impacts.
- ↑ package dimensions above | RUNNERSWORLD AWARD WINNER - The Rockay Accelerate was chosen among the very best and not only that, we are also featured as a top sock on Business Insider, Forbes, Runnerclick and many others! A trusted sock by the leading experts!
- GUARANTEED FOR LIFE - We stand by the quality of our all our running gear & take care of our customers - No conditions. No questions asked. This is not the kind of sock you replace after 10 washes! Every inch of this sock has been tested for maximum durability in extreme conditions like ultra-marathons & obstacle course races
- 100% RECYCLED MATERIALS- Featuring Econyl, a premium quality regenerated Nylon yarn, made from recycling Ocean waste and landfill fabrics. Plus, a new Polygiene coating means you can wear them more and wash them less, better for the planet.
- ANTI-BLISTER- Say goodbye to blisters and chafing. Our Accelerate socks are made with ventilation zones, that wicks away sweat. Enjoy a super breathable sock thats built to last mile after mile whether you are running, hiking or walking. Keep you feet bone dry and blister free no matter what you are doing.
- 1 PAIR = 22 PLASTIC BOTTLES REMOVED FROM THE OCEAN - Rockay has partnered with ReSea Project to remove 125g of plastic from the ocean for every pair of socks we sell (the equivalent of 22 plastic bottles). This is a part of our commitment to help regenerate our damaged ecosystems and clean up our planet.
And of course, these socks prevent blisters!
The Accelerate socks are made with ventilation zones that are strategically placed to wick away sweat.
It is also constructed to be super breathable so you can get the most out of them without the extra moisture. These socks will keep your feet dry and blister free no matter what kind of run you are doing.
At first I was hesitant about wearing toes socks.
After viewing the numerous reviews on Amazon about the comfort, blister protection and minimizing the moisture, I decided to give the Injinji Toe Socks a try.
I am not a "toe shoe" kind of runner so this purchase was really out of character for me but I really wanted to try a few different types of socks that would help with my blister problem.
I was quite surprised by the compression and the comfort. Putting my toes in each correct location was a little tricky.
The lightweight version of these are a little thinner than the Asics and Bridgedales.
They were also a little more pricey than the other options.
I found that the benefits of Split Toe Socks are truly the extra protection for your toes and the overall comfort.
Once you get past the weird feeling of your toes being isolated in their own area, they are very comfortable socks.
The style of Split Toe Socks are really designed to fit like a glove for your feet and prevent blisters.
If you would like to try toe socks, we break down the 5 best for preventing blisters and are the most durable in this article.
The Wrightsock Anti-Blister Double Layer Running Socks were the last pair of running socks I tested out.
They do offer a "no blister guarantee" like some of the others. A few of my running buddies wear these and swear by them.
Aside from a very long title, these socks were very good for blister protection.
They are designed with two layers (so they are a little thicker than the other options) but are not as bulky as you would expect.
After giving these a month-long trial, I enjoyed the comfort and snug fit on my feet.
I thought that because of the thicker design that my feet would sweat a ton more but surprisingly enough they did not.
Many runners use these in combination with Vaseline to provide ultimate protection from blisters/chaffing, I did not try that experiment with these socks.
Oddly enough some runners use Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly when they run without socks.
So if it is strong enough to protect when you are not wearing socks, it is strong enough when you are wearing socks.
The Zensah Wool running sock is ideal for preventing blisters and keeping your feet dry.
This wool running sock offers a hexo-padded technology in the toe and heel area, which is a proprietary padding designed specifically to reduce impact and provide abrasion resistance.
To keep your feet extra dry, Zensah implements a polyclone fiber, which is engineered to provide superior moisture-wicking performance and keep your feet dry even under tough and wet conditions.
- PREVENTS BLISTERS, REDUCES IMPACT: The wool running socks feature hexo-padded technology in the toe and heel area - proprietary padding to reduce impact and provide abrasion resistance.
- FEET STAY DRY: Special fiber blend is engineered to provide superior moisture wicking and to keep your feet dry even under the toughest conditions.
- KEEPS FEET AT OPTIMAL TEMPERATURE: Fine merino wool keeps you warmer in the cold and cooler in the heat, keeping your feet at the perfect temperature.
- PERFECT FIT: An anatomical fit, seamless toe, and light arch support provide the perfect fit and ensure the wool running socks stay in place.
- GUARANTEED FOR LIFE: If at any point the Grit Running Socks are not satisfactory in comfort, fit, performance, or durability, we’ll gladly exchange them for another pair.
Constructed from fine merino wool, your feet will stay warmer in the cold and cooler in the heat, which as you might have guessed, keeps your feet at the perfect temperature.
Finally, with an anatomical fit, seamless toe, and light arch support your foot will feel the difference with the perfect fit that this shoe provides and ensures the wool running socks stay in place.
All of these running socks offer blister protection and I have used each one of these on my runs.
I tried five different pairs to get the perfect feel that I was looking for, a snug fit that kept my feet dry, odor down, and no blisters.
So how did I get to the point of figuring out what socks are the best to prevent blisters?
When I first started running I would get blisters on the front of my toes (just below the nail) and at the top of my toes (it was a double-whammy and it hurt!).
I thought well maybe I am running too much or my running form is bad or I need new shoes.
I never thought that it was a result of terrible socks. So I went through the process to address those issues by researching running form, evaluating my running lengths/training plan, and my shoes.
I had blisters for about two weeks prior to buying a pair Brooks Ghost so I thought would fix the problem and then went on to trying to address the other ideas.
After about two months (and numerous blisters) of going through these ideas, it finally hit me, I need new socks.
The right socks can make all the world of difference, if the sizing if off it can create friction as the socks rub against your skin.
If they are too think that can make your feet hot and sweaty.
These are all great signs that you need to pick a good pair of running socks.
Last update on 2020-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API